Additional (n.i.) and (n.r.) info for PW Program Index

Demetris

Here are some notes I had taken while working on the USB Apps page in
kikizas.net. They were lying forgotten in a TreePad node (they are not
too old -- just two months).

The following programs are incorrectly marked as (n.r.):

[(N.I.) (N.R.) SHOULD BE JUST (N.I.)]

+ Freebyte Zip (like all Freebyte apps I have tried)
+ Metapad
+ Spread32 (1.18, last no nag/shareware v., keeps settings in registry)

The following programs are marked only as (n.i.). They are also (n.r.).

[(N.I.) CAN BE CHANGED TO (N.I.) (N.R.)]

+ 3d Traceroute
+ Caffeine
+ Catfish
+ CDex
+ Color Cop
+ Dialog Mate
+ DM2
+ DustBuster (seems only comes with an installer now, but only the exe
is needed to run it)
+ EssentialPIM
+ i.Disk
+ Media Player Classic (has option)
+ Neutron
+ Off by One 3.50a (for portability, copy ob1.ini from c:\windows to the
program's directory)
+ RegSeeker
+ Restoration
+ SciTE (BUT, since 1.62 writes user settings to %USERPROFILE% -- edit
enviroment path to change)
+ Splitter Light (by Martin Stoeckli)
+ Win32Pad
+ XnView (has option)
+ Zip Indexator (IIRC)

PW03, PW04 and PW05 (n.r.) programs not marked as such. Not all are
(n.i.). Some come both with and without installer.

[(N.R.) CAN BE ADDED]

+ Currency Converter 2
+ Directory Lister
+ Easy Cleaner
+ FileZilla (has option)
+ Firefox (writes to %USERPROFILE%, Portable Fx does not)
+ freeCommander
+ IrfanView
+ JV16 Powertools 1.3.0.195 (IIRC)
+ Miranda IM
+ NoteTab Light
+ OpenOffice.org
+ PC Inspector File Recovery
+ Pimmy
+ PSPad (IIRC)
+ RegCleaner 4.3.0.780 (IIRC)
+ Sphygmic Spreadsheet (for portability, files it puts in system
directories must be moved to its directory)
+ Thunderbird (writes to %USERPROFILE%, Portable Tb does not)
+ Stinger
+ VLC Media Player (writes to %USERPROFILE% -- can be changed with
parameters)

Some other interesting (n.r.) programs (not all are in the PW index).

+ bbLean (running on top of explorer.exe)
+ FreeMind (writes to %USERPROFILE% -- don't know if this can be changed)
+ Hoekeys
+ PingPlotter
+ Opera (takes trick)
+ Rainlendar
+ Rename Master
+ TrueCrypt (in Traveller Mode, which needs admin rights)

Greetings,
Demetris

Susan Bugher

Demetris said:
Here are some notes I had taken while working on the USB Apps page in
kikizas.net. They were lying forgotten in a TreePad node (they are not
too old -- just two months).

Thank you, thank you, thank you. That's a great help. :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Demetris wrote:

Revisions have been made and new web pages uploaded.

I'm using the KISS (keep it simple stupid) approach on the ACF pages. Portability is a bit too
complicated. (Portability info could be added in the wiki "notes".)

(n.i.) denotes programs that have a no-install version (there may be an install version too) and
(n.r.) denotes programs that do not write to the registry. IOW - if you had notes of explanation the
change wasn't made. I did revise the apps that had (IIRC) - I trust someone will post a correction
if needed. Programs that have a SPECIAL portable version were not revised. These are the programs
where we differ:
[(N.I.) CAN BE CHANGED TO (N.I.) (N.R.)]
+ DustBuster (seems only comes with an installer now, but only the exe
is needed to run it)
+ SciTE (BUT, since 1.62 writes user settings to %USERPROFILE% -- edit
enviroment path to change)
[(N.R.) CAN BE ADDED]
+ Firefox (writes to %USERPROFILE%, Portable Fx does not)
+ Thunderbird (writes to %USERPROFILE%, Portable Tb does not)
+ VLC Media Player (writes to %USERPROFILE% -- can be changed with
parameters)
Some other interesting (n.r.) programs (not all are in the PW index).
+ FreeMind (writes to %USERPROFILE% -- don't know if this can be changed)
+ Opera (takes trick)
+ TrueCrypt (in Traveller Mode, which needs admin rights)

Thanks again for the help. :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Demetris

Susan said:
Revisions have been made and new web pages uploaded.

I'm using the KISS (keep it simple stupid) approach on the ACF pages.
Portability is a bit too complicated. (Portability info could be added
in the wiki "notes".)

(n.i.) denotes programs that have a no-install version (there may be an
install version too) and (n.r.) denotes programs that do not write to
the registry. IOW - if you had notes of explanation the change wasn't
made. I did revise the apps that had (IIRC) - I trust someone will post
a correction if needed. Programs that have a SPECIAL portable version
were not revised. These are the programs where we differ:
I agree. It's impossible to convey all this information through a table.
But maybe this one can be marked as (n.r.):
[(N.I.) CAN BE CHANGED TO (N.I.) (N.R.)]
+ DustBuster (seems only comes with an installer now, but only the exe
is needed to run it)
In the same sense that, e.g., IrfanView and 1by1 are (n.r.), although
coming with an installer that puts uninstallation information in the
registry.
Thanks again for the help. :)
YW. :)

Demetris

Susan Bugher

Demetris said:
Susan said:
[...]

It is marked (n.r.) now - see:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_GRAPHICS.php#3141

However, I see from the download page that it is (n.i) again - at least for the moment. . . ;)

and I will revise that to (n.i.) (n.r.). . .

http://www.dustbuster.net/downloads.htm

<q>
DustBuster1.4.zip : Download this file and unzip it into a directory. Under XP, double click on
"DustBuster.exe" to start DustBuster. Windows versions prior to XP will need to download and install
the Microsoft GDI+ library. This download is 191 KB.
</q>

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Demetris

Susan said:
However, I see from the download page that it is (n.i) again - at least
for the moment. . . ;)

and I will revise that to (n.i.) (n.r.). . .

http://www.dustbuster.net/downloads.htm

<q>
DustBuster1.4.zip : Download this file and unzip it into a directory.
Under XP, double click on "DustBuster.exe" to start DustBuster. Windows
versions prior to XP will need to download and install the Microsoft
GDI+ library. This download is 191 KB.
</q>
Oops! It seems there are two DustBusters! The one I meant is this:

http://www.casperize.com/dustbuster/dustbuster.htm

CATEGORY: SYSTEM UTILITIES
SUBCATEGORY: System Cleaner
COMPANY: Casper & McAlba
AUTHOR: Stefano Nurchi

I had only looked the Program Index, which mentions Casper & McAlba as
the company. By following the link, I see now that the company name is
Casper & McAlba again, but the Category/Subcategory and link are for the
graphics program you checked, and which is by David Yip, not Casper &
McAlba:

Demetris said:
Susan Bugher wrote:
Oops! It seems there are two DustBusters! The one I meant is this:

http://www.casperize.com/dustbuster/dustbuster.htm

CATEGORY: SYSTEM UTILITIES
SUBCATEGORY: System Cleaner
COMPANY: Casper & McAlba
AUTHOR: Stefano Nurchi

I had only looked the Program Index, which mentions Casper & McAlba as
the company. By following the link, I see now that the company name is
Casper & McAlba again, but the Category/Subcategory and link are for the
graphics program you checked, and which is by David Yip, not Casper &
McAlba:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_GRAPHICS.php#3141

Thanks. :) I've revised the info.

Susan