WAP and DHCP handoff

Reaction score
Okay,

I used to be a consultant, so I have seen this issue in several places. But now I am running my own network and this issue is coming up again. And it is that the WAPs (wireless Access Points) we use let people get connected, but they dont seem to allow DHCP to function and hand off an address.

In searching for this, it is not fair to call this a DHCP passthrough issue, as nothing is passing through a router. Instead, there is a windows DHCP server on the same segment as the WAPs. The WAPs are not doing dhcp, they are instead using the windows server for it.

DHCP works after the WAPs are restarted, and it works for a little while after that, but about once a week, they just fail and have to be restarted again.

In scouring the internet, I am not finding a lot of people posting about this, but I have seen in at numerous places, and I am just wondering, is this normal? Do others experience the same things? Anyone know what can be done to make the WAP's not fail on the DHCP transaction?

Here, we were using Cisco WAP4410N's but they sucked so bad at this, I changed them for netgear wn802t's which work much better at it (and are much cheaper).

Still, since I dont see others reporting this on other sites, I thought I would ask the group and see what people thought. Does wireless just suck? or is there something I should do?

Last edited:

Ask a Question