WANTED: European Astronaut's

Reaction score
So it could be someone from here!!!!

If you have ever dreamt of landing on the Moon now could be your chance, as the European Space Agency launches a recruitment drive.

As part of the agency's Cosmic Vision initiative, representatives will be at London's Science Museum later to recruit potential astronauts for missions between 2015 and 2025.

The overall selection process will begin on Monday, May 19 and candidates must apply through the www.esa.int/astronautselection site.

They will have to provide the same medical examination certificate as private pilot and undergo two stages of psychological and professional aptitude evaluation, including behavioural and cognitive skills tests as well as a rigorous interview with ESA bosses.

The final appointments will be officially announced in 2009 and the selected candidates will join the European Astronaut Corps and begin basic training at the European Astronaut Centre (ESA-EAC) in Cologne, Germany.

Michel Tognini, former astronaut and Head of the European Astronaut Centre, said: "We want to find high-calibre men and women in Europe to prepare to meet the challenges of ISS exploitation and human exploration of our solar system in the 21st century."

He added: "As of May 2008, ESA will be searching in each of its 17 member states for the best candidates to make this vision a reality."

Candidates from Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom are eligible to apply.

Gerhard Thiele, former astronaut and Head of the European Astronaut Division, said: "The ideal candidate should be competent in relevant scientific disciplines, including but not restricted to life sciences, physics, chemistry and medicine and/or be an engineer or pilot, and should have demonstrated outstanding abilities in research, applications or the educational field, preferably including operational skills."

Applicants should be fluent in English, with Russian an asset, and should exhibit personality traits such as high motivation, flexibility, team competence, empathy with others and emotional stability, he said.

Mr Thiele added: "In addition, characteristics expected of all applicants include a good memory and reasoning ability, concentration, aptitude for spatial orientation, and manual dexterity."

Source: ITN

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I'm not going..... I refuse to go.... you can't make me!!!

:lol: :lol:

Seriously though, it's a very interesting piece Feckit :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I wonder how many people will apply to this :D

What a fantastic experience this would be :)

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Excellent .. feckit ,you should all you tube ..inside the space station or onboard the shuttle..some great videos, and thats where i draw the line, just watching, i`m scared of flying as it is !!

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
I'm not going..... I refuse to go.... you can't make me!!!

laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Seriously though, it's a very interesting piece Feckit :thumb:
TC your to old!!!

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I'd love to do it but I just fall outside the age bracket. ;)

Ask a Question