The universe really does bewilder me at times

Reaction score
Just unfathomable

"Peering deep into the early universe, this picturesque parallel field observation from the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope reveals thousands of colorful galaxies swimming in the inky blackness of space. A few foreground stars from our own galaxy, the Milky Way, are also visible.

In October 2013 Hubble’s Wide Field Camera 3 (WFC3) and Advanced Camera for Surveys (ACS) began observing this portion of sky as part of the Frontier Fields program. This spectacular skyscape was captured during the study of the giant galaxy cluster Abell 2744, otherwise known as Pandora’s Box. While one of Hubble’s cameras concentrated on Abell 2744, the other camera viewed this adjacent patch of sky near to the cluster.

Containing countless galaxies of various ages, shapes and sizes, this parallel field observation is nearly as deep as the Hubble Ultra-Deep Field. In addition to showcasing the stunning beauty of the deep universe in incredible detail, this parallel field — when compared to other deep fields — will help astronomers understand how similar the universe looks in different directions."

Image credit: NASA, ESA and the HST Frontier Fields team (STScI), Acknowledgement: Judy Schmidt
Text credit: European Space Agency

hubble_friday_03112016.jpg

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Incredible stuff :D The thought of getting from one side of our galaxy to the other seems almost impossible; so to see so many galaxies like that is just unimaginable for our tiny little minds.

Hurry up NASA and build a warp drive :lol:

Reaction score
I'm not sure NASA ever will build anything like a warpdrive. I think it is going to be left in the hands of a private investor tbh. Nevertheless to experience something like what we have out there and soo close (astrologically speaking) is going to take more than speed of light. Bending space/time seems more plausible however involves just unimaginable amounts of energy at present. We are many. many decades off knowing. I for sure don't think I will be around when the technology becomes usable. Maybe my great grandkids?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Maybe my great grandkids?

Maybe even further in the future than that, if it's even possible at all. Einstein said that as your speed increases so does your mass and at the speed of light your mass would be infinite, hence no possibility of travelling faster than light speed.

Einstein also said...................

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

And Bob Monkhouse said...................................

Personally, I don't think there's intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Every time I try and imagine the universe I go into brain meltdown, I really can't grasp the concept.

I mean, what is at the end of the universe? Does it actually end? And if so what's on the other side of the end? Nope, I simply can't conceive, I'm possibly limited by the human way of viewing things.

Reaction score
We just need to evolve another few thousand years I think. We may start to understand it then?
Saying that the way the human race is going I'm not even sure the Earth will still be here in the next one thousand years never mind Humans as Hawking predicated

Reaction score
With all those thousands of known planets out there and as time goes on more are found, I have the feeling we are not alone there must be other life out there whether it is like us or not is another.:nod: matter

Ask a Question