EU aviation groups want all drones to be registered

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
We often see stories about drones causing mischief in the news, and as a result several EU groups have suggested that drone users should be registered to improve safety and improve accountability. They have requested that "a robust harmonized EU-wide regulatory safety framework for drones" is introduced, as there is currently no European legal framework for drones below 150kg in weight.

Besides registration, the European and international bodies are also requesting that drones be equipped with altitude and distance restricting software preventing them from entering sensitive airspace - a feature known as "geofencing".

Some drone makers, including DJI, already include such technology in their products, but there is no universal requirement to do so.

The British government has planned a consultation on drones and regulation that will take place later this year.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37285825

What do you think about this - is this necessary or an over-the-top reaction?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I think it's essential. Otherwise one day there is going to be a terrible accident.

Even if they are registered there will be an accident but I think it will be far less likely. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
As much as I don't like over-regulation, I think this is a good thing - excluding drones that are clearly toys and won't be much use outside of a garden/house.

It drives me crazy when I read about people flying drones near airports, tens of meters from an aircraft. Common sense isn't so common sometimes!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I imagine that to fly a drone would be awesome fun and, clearly, they are brilliant for aerial photography, etc. But yes, I would agree that regulation is a good idea.

However, just like gun control, or driving licences, drone registration will not in itself be a guarantee against accidents, or user-incompetence.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
However, just like gun control, or driving licences, drone registration will not in itself be a guarantee against accidents, or user-incompetence.

Very true indeed!

It should at least give some basis for legal repercussions should someone do something silly - at the moment I wonder what would happen if a drone drops out the sky on someones head or an expensive car. Is it an accident, or the fault of the pilot for going near things like that? I suppose it depends on the circumstances, but interesting nonetheless.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if a drone drops out the sky on someones head or an expensive car. Is it an accident, or the fault of the pilot for going near things like that? I suppose it depends on the circumstances, but interesting nonetheless.

Dunno 'bout the UK, but here, the Aviation Act says that no matter the circumstances, the owner and the operator of the aircraft (manned or unmanned, no difference) are liable to pay for damages.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Dunno 'bout the UK, but here, the Aviation Act says that no matter the circumstances, the owner and the operator of the aircraft (manned or unmanned, no difference) are liable to pay for damages.

Yep, looks like it's the same in the UK:

https://www.caa.co.uk/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=4294975468

You are legally responsible for the safe conduct of each flight. Take time to understand the rules - failure to comply could lead to a criminal prosecution.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
That's Walter White and he threw that pizza onto the roof. :D:p

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
What the hell is wrong with some people?! :eek: :mad:

It's just a matter of time before really strict rules are put in place...