Waddya think?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hey V_R how come London is first 50 miles away and then 100 miles away? Even if they pinged to both North and South London the capital isn't 50 miles across, lol

Your speeds are really rather good aren't they? I'll see how I get on but I do still have the option to change, I'm only on a month's contract but tbh it'll probably do me, what I have now.

I had a letter from BT saying how sorry they were to lose me and they pointed out the services I would lose:

Appendix One:

Here's a list of products and services you won't get from us after your move:

Unlimited weekend plan
Phone line.

The phone line? Ya don't say? No crap Einstein, thanks for letting me know.

As for the unlimited weekend plan, for years BT tried to sell me a 'plan' which always meant more money on my bill and I declined all their offers. Then about two years ago they foisted a 'plan' on me anway which, you guessed it, cost me more money :rolleyes:

I think I've mentioned I'm not terribly fond of BT haven't I? That's just one reason why this is so.

Appendix Two:

Here's a list of products and services you'll still get from us and for which we'll bill you. Any other BT accounts you may have won't be affected by the move:

Hmm.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hey V_R how come London is first 50 miles away and then 100 miles away? Even if they pinged to both North and South London the capital isn't 50 miles across, lol

Ah well that is because of my IP address. With Be the IP was in Reading, with ADSL24 it seems it thinks i am now in Alfreton near Mansfield. ;)

Try going here and see what yours says.
http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Of course, that would make sense ;)

Well I'll be blowed, my ISP location is opposite the Houses Of Parliament.And in this pic, on the South side of the river and to the south of Westminster Bridge is St Thomas' Hospital where some years ago I spent some considerable time.

And if you need a bearing the shadow of The London Eye can be seen on The Thames.

7535d1305643310-waddya-think-isplocation.jpg

Attachments

• isplocation.JPG
    isplocation.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 183

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
There you go. :)

By the way, the router i'm using now is another Netgear, The WNDR3700, and i really like it tbh. But then i am a bit of a Netgear fan, always have been.

router1.jpg

router2.jpg

router3.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Nice looking bit of kit V_R, mine's just a plain white dull looking box with 'Sky' written on the front and I hate Sky (Rupert Murdoch; The Sun; pay-for-your-TV).

So what makes Netgear so special? they all seem much of a muchness to me, only previous experience I've had of Netgear stuff - as I've mentioned - is buying one new only to have it die on me 15 months later.

Those sort of experiences for right or for wrong do tend to put me off certain brands.

I will concede the interface is a little easier to understand than the Linksys I was using prior but that's about it.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah you got the Sky branded 834GT? and it works fine? Did you flash the FW on it? I didn't think the sky branded ones worked without being flashed with the Stock/DGTeam FW.

I dont really know why i prefer them tbh, However that said, i do prefer the interface, think they look nice sat on your desk and they have never given me any grief over the years.

You can also, generally, tweak the hell out of them too! :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ah you got the Sky branded 834GT? and it works fine? Did you flash the FW on it? I didn't think the sky branded ones worked without being flashed with the Stock/DGTeam FW.

I dont really know why i prefer them tbh, However that said, i do prefer the interface, think they look nice sat on your desk and they have never given me any grief over the years.

You can also, generally, tweak the hell out of them too! :D

Well I'm broad minded enough to know that any make and model can fail, just pot luck really, one iffy batch of components used in the manufacture and you could have a whole spate of failed products sooner than expected.

The router came ready flashed to latest Netgear firmware. The supplier did offer to flash it to that modded firmware you use but I forgot to indicate I wanted it when I ordered it.

Is it really beneficial to use modded firmware and tinker? What's the advantage? Faster download speed? The whole online thing is a bit of a grey area for me, I not really that clued up on it so if it's working well my instinct is to leave it be ;)

But I'm always open to suggestions as they say, I'll have a look at the link you gave earlier in this thread.

I've just washed the motor. Never park for a long time under a tree in springtime, that sap is a bugger to get off :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The router came ready flashed to latest Netgear firmware. The supplier did offer to flash it to that modded firmware you use but I forgot to indicate I wanted it when I ordered it.

Is it really beneficial to use modded firmware and tinker? What's the advantage? Faster download speed? The whole online thing is a bit of a grey area for me, I not really that clued up on it so if it's working well my instinct is to leave it be ;)

Its up to you mate, but yes you cna get a little more speed out of it if you adjust the noise margin. But if your happy then dont worry. Its really only if you want to tinker with it. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just DLed the BulletStorm demo from Steam...

1.8Gb in about 8 mins! :drool:

23qxc9t.png

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ok, so here's my experience with ADSL24 so far....

The weekend according to ADSL24's website is off peak.

Yet whatever i do is counted towards my limit. I just downloaded a couple of games via Steam as its 'off peak' and wont count to my limit..

Next thing i know i get an email saying i am about to hit my limit.... Now i have 1gb to last me the rest of the month.....

Just spoke to customer service. Seems they/he doesn't have a clue. He didn't even know that the weekend was unlimited! He just said i have to "call back on Monday!"

So i'm not overly happy..... :(

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ouch! That is not an encouraging beginning V_R, sorry to hear it. :( However, this has happened to before at the back end of last year, (albeit not to folk on the Fibre Pro package.) Some usage reports went completely OTT, showing consumptions of over 500 GB, accumulating in just 7 days. It was a glitch in the system and was put right within about 24 hours. The usage reports returned to normal.

Shame the guy you spoke with wasn't helpful - it doesn't promote confidence when that happens. :mad: FWIW, if ever I've needed help with a problem (happily, very infrequently...) I've raised a ticket by e-mail, which has usually resulted in a swift and helpful response. Might just be coincidence, of course.

Hope this will be sorted quickly for you V_R, good luck. :nod:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Tickets raised too, but no reply til after the weekend by all accounts.... :/

I'm sure (read hope) it will sorted by Monday, as i am down to 512mb usage now.....

Suffice to say i am far from happy with this so far. :mad:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Give it til tomorrow evening and a phone call. Seems to me they clearly not kept their part of the bargain, I'm sure it will get sorted. Assuming you can speak to somebody who knows what they're talking about of course.

On the same subject I know I ain't got the best ISP deal out there but every time I've spoken to Zen their people have been splendid, all of them knowledgable and helpful. The only time I've spoken to other ISP reps they've all been total tossers.

Which is one reason I pay more for less.

Anyhow, good luck, hope you get it sorted, I'm sure you will.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
On the same subject I know I ain't got the best ISP deal out there but every time I've spoken to Zen their people have been splendid, all of them knowledgeable and helpful. The only time I've spoken to other ISP reps they've all been total tossers.

Which is one reason I pay more for less.
Can totally relate to that, if i wanted the cheapest FTTC service i'd have gone with BT...!

Part of the reasoning of picking ADSL24 is a UK call centre and decent support.... So far from my experience of this, i can tell you they do have a UK call centre, the latter i'm still unsure about! lol

Your right though, i cant see it not being sorted. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
My usage has now been reset. Though no reply to my ticket.... Hmmmm.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Glad to hear that V_R :thumb:

Just a thought, re the ticket... have you checked for a reply via your Account pages on the ISP's website? I only ask, because a while ago, I waited for a few days, expecting that I'd receive an e-mail... but on checking my aforementioned Account page/tickets raised, there was the reply. On a separate occasion, I got an email...:rolleyes: so possibly worth checking, if you've not already done so. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Oh yes, have been looking every few hours! Still nothing by the way..... :/

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sounds to me like they realised their mistake but nobody's got the bottle to talk to you :D

Glad it's sorted :thumb:

Ask a Question