Windows XP Broadband - any such animal?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This is what I'd like, does such a thing exisit?

Requirements in order of priority.

Minimum contract One Month.
Greater than 2mb download speed
Unlimited bandwith, no monthly limits
Web space, at least 500Mb.
Minimum 5 e-mail addresses
Decent, competent helpline
Ability to pay monthly bill with credit card NOT direct debit.
Less than £25.00 per month, inc VAT

I've actually got all the above atm except I'm limited to 512K downloads and it costs £24.99 pcm with Zen.co.uk

I've been really happy with Zen since March 2003, but I would really like a faster download speed. I could change my Zen plan to a faster d/l speed but then I'd have my bandwidth capped. I've checked with Zen and it seems that about once in every three months or so, I do exceed their new bandwidth limit. If I stick with my current plan (no longer available) I have unlimited bandwidth.

I also wouldn't mind paying less than £25.00 a month.

I haven't looked around yet, I thought you fellas might be able to recommend something, but the first one I'll be looking at is Plusnet, have read good recommendations for it on this Forum.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
plusnet tick most of those, only one is the downloading during peak hours is limited to 10GB but outside of that is as much as you want

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yep, it existed all but the Minimum contract of One Month, not sure if they still do it all and you probably cannot get it. 2Mb free upgrade to 4, unlimited (at the time I was with them) 10 email addresses but a poxy web site space which I never used. do you wan't jam on that sir

NTL ... and before you all start-up ... I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM even if everybody else did. :p

I used to pay monthly, but the saving of £3 by going direct debit swayed me over, not sure if they still do a monthly payment plan though.

As an added bonus ... It also included a Telephone line & Cable TV :thumb:

ALL for 24.99 :D

* oh happy days *

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have mentioned this one million times - NTL No in my street. And they want you to sign up for a year.

My first ISP was actually NTL's forerunner - Cable & Wireless. They were quite good, as I recall.

I've looked at Plusnet, too bloody complicated for me, all kinds of hidden things, like 'only £20.00 administration fee for leaving' WTF?

And lots of complaints about Plusnet here.

Funny thing is, at that site, Zen is voted top ADSL supplier.

If I change my plan to latest plan, I lose unlimited bandwidth but do get 20Gb each month, which seems Ok to me. My daughter has now left home and has her own place, so there goes about 300 mp3's a month ;)

Yep, think I'll stick with Zen, up d/l speed to 'up to 8mb (which, they have the good grace to point out, actually means about 2mb at peak times, not many other ISP's admit that up front) but limit monthly bandwidth to 20gb.

Zen have a monthly bandwidth calculator, I used it, wildly exagerrated (like 40 hours online gaming a week, hmm, maybe not exagerrating, lol) and it came out as less than 10Gb a month.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Wanna read my email I just got of BT ...

... it's real funny.

NO?

laughingsmiley.gif

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
As your mobiles with Orange - have you looked at the free Orange Broadband offer for Orange customers?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
As your mobiles with Orange - have you looked at the free Orange Broadband offer for Orange customers?

Yep, and I read the small print too.

I was tempted, must confess, but Orange just took over Wannabe/Wannadoo/Wannaw**k

One year's (or 18 months if you read closer) minimum contract. Go away and prey on imbeciles....

Reaction score
I reckon just trying to find Unlimited True Bandwidth for under £25 a month would be a challenge in itself.

Pop over to NewNet, just Google it, they have some attractive deals for 8MB ADSL MAX.

Hope you find what your looking for mate ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
RapidEight said:
I reckon just trying to find Unlimited True Bandwidth for under £25 a month would be a challenge in itself.

Aye, you're right, which, as I read small print after small print, is being proved.

Pop over to NewNet, just Google it, they have some attractive deals for 8MB ADSL MAX.

Hope you find what your looking for mate ;)

I will look, for sure, but, as always, with a very skeptical mind :)

Reaction score
I am using NewNet ADSL now, it's alright but BT are having major issues with ADSL Max which is being seen across all ISP's in the country, apparantly fixes are being put in place, but due to the rapid increase in speed, the BT Central Pipe's can't handle it, so all the ISP's are basically bulk buying extra transit to support this.

Im on the 8050S Service with NewNet, and it's alright for the cost, about £18 per month once your all settled in... they do charge a tad more for Card Payments opposed to Direct Debit.

Ask a Question