Plus Net?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Me again, once more considering changing my ISP to save some money.

To recap: current ISP Zen, excellent flawless service for 8 years, monthly contract, absolutely no hiccups, free tech support, supplying max speeds local exchange capable of (maxes out around 8Mb d/l), 100Gb monthly bandwidth allowance, £35.00 per month and paying by online invoice with debit card monthly.

Plusnet say they can provide a service locally to me, £11.49 a month, 60Gb bandwidth allowance, only allow payment by direct debit, If I don't buy their router or take out a 12 month contract there's a £25.00 connection fee.

I chatted online via a messenger type window to some halfwit at Plusnet and he admitted that if I used excessive amounts of bandwidth I'd be throttled. Well, at least they admiited it. Also anything downloaded between midnight and 8am doesn't count towards total bandwidth.

I'm not sure if it's a monthly contract as our Shaun seemed intent on not answering that one for me. In fact a lot of the time he just quoted their advertising spiel at me til I had to tell him to button it and just answer the questions.

Oh, and the first three months is free, but that isn't an incentive really. All I'm interested in is getting the same service for less money. Their phone line rental works out about the same as BT and there doesn't seem to be any advantage in switching to them. I'm with BT atm and pay quarterly, Plusnet want paying monthly. So I'll stick with BT methinks.

So, what I'm asking is if anybody has had any experience of Plusnet, please let me know, thanks.

PS: I asked them what their 'free' support line number was and he gave me an 0845 number. So I said 'well it's not free then is it?' This confused Shaun a little, so I didn't press it. Eventually he told me I could phone a landline number as well. Oh. As far as I'm concerned UK landline numbers are free from my mobile. Ho hum.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Their phone line rental works out about the same as BT and there doesn't seem to be any advantage in switching to them. I'm with BT atm and pay quarterly, Plusnet want paying monthly. So I'll stick with BT methinks.

Plusnet are a subsidiary to BT. So would it be worth it if they were to undercut BT with there pricing ?

Reaction score
We are with Sky & it's great service.:thumb:
But we do have Sky TV, Telephone & Internet with them.

Last edited:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
I had them for quite a while, 3 years maybe. Personally i wouldn't go back to them, the throttling was really aggressive when i was with them, it was supposedly only in affect during peak hours (i think it was 8am till 6pm) but it seemed to be all the time. I'm not sure but i think i had 20GB a month to play with, as soon as i hit 10GB i'd be on 2Mb, i think the next stage kicked in once you hit 13GB which knocked you down to 1Mb and more than 15GB put you on 0.5Mb!

The service was reliable, i think i only had an outage once and that was due to BT upgrading the exchange/playing with something so was nothing that Plusnet had done themselves

As Evan said they are part of BT now, once that happened things went down hill for me at least. I kept getting threatening emails about using too much bandwidth on and off peak
user.gif
After a couple of months i had enough and went to Be who i've had no problems with

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
I had them for quite a while, 3 years maybe. Personally i wouldn't go back to them, the throttling was really aggressive when i was with them, it was supposedly only in affect during peak hours (i think it was 8am till 6pm) but it seemed to be all the time. I'm not sure but i think i had 20GB a month to play with, as soon as i hit 10GB i'd be on 2Mb, i think the next stage kicked in once you hit 13GB which knocked you down to 1Mb and more than 15GB put you on 0.5Mb!

The service was reliable, i think i only had an outage once and that was due to BT upgrading the exchange/playing with something so was nothing that Plusnet had done themselves

As Evan said they are part of BT now, once that happened things went down hill for me at least. I kept getting threatening emails about using too much bandwidth on and off peak
user.gif
After a couple of months i had enough and went to Be who i've had no problems with

Ok - next! :D

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

That old adage is true I suppose - you do only get what you pay for.

There is no free lunch.

I wish 02 or Be could supply a service though, I think I'd sign up with them like a shot :(

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
But Mr Flopp's I thought you were a true Zen master! :D

Ah, grasshopper, being honourable Zen master comes at almighty price.

Zen master demand nothing less than perfection and no fool himself five pounds sterling a month buy top grade service.

Zen Master also learn from honourable kan-san that thirty five quid a calendar month is high toll fee.

Zen master will now retire with dilemma and drink a pint of rice wine, er, Porter.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Ah, grasshopper, being honourable Zen master comes at almighty price.

Zen master demand nothing less than perfection and no fool himself five pounds sterling a month buy top grade service.

Zen Master also learn from honourable kan-san that thirty five quid a calendar month is high toll fee.

Zen master will now retire with dilemma and drink a pint of rice wine, er, Porter.

:D That a funny retort
laughingsmiley.gif

Ask a Question