W2K SP4 - Add/Remove progs/all icons/IE all now corrupt

M

maripa

i installed SP4 last week - no visble probs there. However, after installing the last 2 critical updates yesterday (Q818529 & Q823559) from the Windows Update site, and rebooting, the Add/Remove Programs in Ctrl Panel are not accessible in any way - just a blank white box.

Additionally, all the normal Windows icons that appear when clicking >Start now have an icon that is not its correct one - ie they refer randomly to any other program i have & not necessariyl to a Windows prog.

Additionally, IE & OE are totally inaccessible, i.e. completely non-startable via any shortcut or *.exe file.

The error message that occurs when trying to start Add/Remove Programs is as follows:-

" Object doesn't support this property or method.
res://sp3res.dll/default.hta line 82 "

Therefore, it is not possible to either install, reinstall, or uninstall these 2 critcal updates or SP4 or any other program.

All ideas are welcome!

G

George Hester

Try in run "regsvr32 webvw.dll" w/o the quotes and then hit <ENTER>. If that doesn't help try in Run "regsvr32 wshom.ocx" w/o the quotes and then hit <ENTER>. HTH.

--
George Hester
i installed SP4 last week - no visble probs there. However, after installing the last 2 critical updates yesterday (Q818529 & Q823559) from the Windows Update site, and rebooting, the Add/Remove Programs in Ctrl Panel are not accessible in any way - just a blank white box.

Additionally, all the normal Windows icons that appear when clicking >Start now have an icon that is not its correct one - ie they refer randomly to any other program i have & not necessariyl to a Windows prog.

Additionally, IE & OE are totally inaccessible, i.e. completely non-startable via any shortcut or *.exe file.

The error message that occurs when trying to start Add/Remove Programs is as follows:-

" Object doesn't support this property or method.
res://sp3res.dll/default.hta line 82 "

Therefore, it is not possible to either install, reinstall, or uninstall these 2 critcal updates or SP4 or any other program.

All ideas are welcome!

Ask a Question