W2K Server slow performance

G

I have been having a problem with slow performance on a W2K server that I have set up as the Domain Controller for my office network. I have 3 pc's with WinXp pro, and three pc's with Win98SE. The Win98 pc's are quick to access the internet and network drives on the server. The WinXp pc's are very slow with network shares and to access the internet. When you double click Internet Explorer, it opens, and then there is a delay of 15-20 seconds before a web page shows up. To try and troubleshoot, I enabled the Local Area Connection icon in the notification area. Whenever I try to access a network drive or use the internet, you can see that there are packets going back and forth between the pc and the server. It's almost as if it's "thinking" about what to do before actually doing it. Like I said earlier, the Win98 pc's are running the way they are supposed to - you click on a network drive or IE, and it's instant.
Any ideas about what is causing this irritating problem ? I have daily complaints from the users in my office who are using WinXp machines. Thank you !

B

BOfH

have you tried swapping cables?

Paul J said:
I have been having a problem with slow performance on a W2K server that I
have set up as the Domain Controller for my office network. I have 3 pc's
with WinXp pro, and three pc's with Win98SE. The Win98 pc's are quick to
access the internet and network drives on the server. The WinXp pc's are
very slow with network shares and to access the internet. When you double
click Internet Explorer, it opens, and then there is a delay of 15-20
seconds before a web page shows up. To try and troubleshoot, I enabled the
Local Area Connection icon in the notification area. Whenever I try to
access a network drive or use the internet, you can see that there are
packets going back and forth between the pc and the server. It's almost as
if it's "thinking" about what to do before actually doing it. Like I said
earlier, the Win98 pc's are running the way they are supposed to - you click
on a network drive or IE, and it's instant.
Any ideas about what is causing this irritating problem ? I have daily
complaints from the users in my office who are using WinXp machines. Thank
you !

G

I assume you mean the network cables ? Yes, I swapped the Cat5e cables with the Win98 machines. This i
definately not a hardware issue. It is WinXp's connection to a Win2000 server. Like I said, the Win98 machines have no problem.

Ask a Question