W2K Printer Problem

Guess Who

Hi

I have three w98 machines, on which I have shared their
local printers (all HP but different Models).

These machines connect to the W2K SBE server using
Terminal Services. I have set up the printers as Network
Printers and selected the \\pathname\PCNAME\PRINTER
path from the list. The printers appear under
Control | Panel | Printers, and all printers print fine.

My problem is that each day SBE spoofs a copy of each of
these printers calling them PRINTERNAME session x (x
increases each day so one of them is on session 37 at the
moment) and puts them in the list. If a user prints to one
of these session printers accidentally it crashes their TS
session.

Have I set them up wrong? Is this just a SBE problem?
Any help would be appreciated.

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

As I understand it, this printer problem occurs on Windows 2000 Small
Business Server. If I have misunderstood you, please let me know.

To troubleshoot this problem, I would like to know the following:

1. Does this problem occur on others printer connected to another Windows
2000/XP machine?

2. How many redirected printers can you see when the problem occurs? Is it
from PRINTERNAME session 1~PRINTERNAME session 37, or just one (PRITNERNAME
session 37)?

3. Which terminal client are you using on the Windows 98 clients?

4. How did you set up the network printer on the server? Is it in the
terminal sessions?

5. My understanding is that the problem does not occur if you print to the
network printer, but occurs if you print to PRINTERNAME session #. Is it
correct?

6. Please post the event logs, if possible.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your time and cooperation.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services