W2K Printer Problem with SBE

Guess Who

Hi

I have three w98 machines, on which I have shared their
local printers (all HP but different Models).

These machines connect to the W2K SBE server using
Terminal Services. I have set up the printers as Network
Printers and selected the \\pathname\PCNAME\PRINTER
path from the list. The printers appear under
Control | Panel | Printers, and all printers print fine.

My problem is that each day SBE spoofs a copy of each of
these printers calling them PRINTERNAME session x (x
increases each day so one of them is on session 37 at the
moment) and puts them in the list. If a user prints to one
of these session printers accidentally it crashes their TS
session.

Is this problem specific to SBE? Have I done something wrong?
Any help would be appreciated.

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

As I understand it, this printer problem occurs on Windows 2000 Small
Business Server. If I have misunderstood you, please let me know.

To troubleshoot this problem, I would like to know the following:

1. Does this problem occur on others printer connected to another Windows
2000/XP machine?

2. How many redirected printers can you see when the problem occurs? Is it
from PRINTERNAME session 1~PRINTERNAME session 37, or just one (PRITNERNAME
session 37)?

3. Which terminal client are you using on the Windows 98 clients?

4. How did you set up the network printer on the server? Is it in the
terminal sessions?

5. My understanding is that the problem does not occur if you print to the
network printer, but occurs if you print to PRINTERNAME session #. Is it
correct?

6. Please post the event logs, if possible.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your time and cooperation.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

From: "Guess Who" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing
Subject: W2K Printer Problem with SBE
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 09:04:02 +1300

Hi

I have three w98 machines, on which I have shared their
local printers (all HP but different Models).

These machines connect to the W2K SBE server using
Terminal Services. I have set up the printers as Network
Printers and selected the \\pathname\PCNAME\PRINTER
path from the list. The printers appear under
Control | Panel | Printers, and all printers print fine.

My problem is that each day SBE spoofs a copy of each of
these printers calling them PRINTERNAME session x (x
increases each day so one of them is on session 37 at the
moment) and puts them in the list. If a user prints to one
of these session printers accidentally it crashes their TS
session.

Is this problem specific to SBE? Have I done something wrong?
Any help would be appreciated.

Guess Who

Hi Jo

Thanks for your response.
To troubleshoot this problem, I would like to know the following:

1. Does this problem occur on others printer connected to another Windows
2000/XP machine?

All printers on the network are through 98 NETBUI print sharing. Yes - each
shared printers creates a one duplicate of itself
2. How many redirected printers can you see when the problem occurs? Is it
from PRINTERNAME session 1~PRINTERNAME session 37, or just one (PRITNERNAME
session 37)?

Just one of each. Ffor example:-
\\Kevin\DJ690C duplicates iteslf once to \\Kevin\DJ690C session 37
\\Bob\DJ892C duplicates itself once to \\Bob\DJ892C session 12 etc
3. Which terminal client are you using on the Windows 98 clients?
The Terminal Services that comes with SBE through Administrative Tools
(common) | Terminal Server client creator (Terminal Services 2000, I
presume??!?)
4. How did you set up the network printer on the server? Is it in the
terminal sessions?

No - I logged on as administrator on the main console and set it up through
there by using the wizard in SBE Client Administration.
When asked if it was local or network, I chose network and typed in the name
I had created. SBE seemed happy to pick it up by the sharename
5. My understanding is that the problem does not occur if you print to the
network printer, but occurs if you print to PRINTERNAME session #. Is it
correct?

Yes that is correct. If the user accidentally selects the sessionx printer
by mistake, the terminal services session crashes.
If they print by selecting the network printer it is fine.
6. Please post the event logs, if possible.

I am able to VPN to the site, so I will log on and reply back to this group
with the log files tomorrow.

Thanks again

Neill M. Pinkney

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Dear Neill,

Thank you for your prompt response and for clarifying the problem.

It is a normal behavior that the local printer will be automatically
redirected when establishing the terminal sessions. Therefore, you can see
two printers: one is the network printer and the other is the redirected
local printer.

The redirected local printer will be automatically named with "Print Name"
+ "Session Number".

However, it is not a normal behavior that the print operations to those
redirected local printer may crash their terminal sessions.

Since you can print to the network printers, I think that we have a quick
solution:

1. Please download the latest terminal client (Remote Desktop Connection
Software) from:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/rdclientdl.asp

Note: This client package is shipped in Windows XP Service Pack 1 and can
be used on many operating systems: Windows 95, Windows 98 and 98 Second
Edition, Windows Me, Windows NT 4.0, or Windows 2000.

2. Install this package on your client machines.

3. When using this RDP client, please click the Option button to unfold the
dialog. Browse to the Local Resources tab, and clear the Printers check box
in the Local Devices section. Then the printer will not be redirected
automatically and the end users will not be confused with the two
"duplicated" printers.

I hope the above solution helps. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation