W2K networking question

Paul K

I have a question regarding networking in W2K, but don't
have a lot of information.

There is a print server with address 10.1.2.99 and a
default gateway of 10.1.2.1.

Trying to ping or tracert the print server doesn't work
from workstation 10.10.1.57 with a default gateway of
10.10.1.1. However, setting up a standard tcp/ip port
and adding a local printer to that port works.

Does W2K (or possibly firewall software/hardware) disable
ping/tracert when crossing networks? If not, why does
ping/tracert not work?

Thanks!

Paul K

You most likely don't have a rout to the 10.1.2.xxx
network from you LAN. You'll need to do a route add
command on the local machine or even better your router
needs to have a route added so that it can pass traffic
between the two LAN's

Michael Johnston [MSFT]

It sounds like the router between these two networks doesn't allow ICMP through. Windows 2000 by default does not block
ICMP.

Thank you,
Mike Johnston
Microsoft Network Support
--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from
which they originated.

Michael,

Thanks for you answer!

So, assuming the router is blocking icmp packets, the reason why I can set up the tcp/ip port is because W2K is using tcp (which the router is not blocking); whereas the ping/tracert commands don't work because they use icmp (which the router is blocking)?

Paul K

Marc Reynolds [MSFT]

Hi Paul,

Yes it appears that the router is not blocking the TCP port, but is
blocking ICMP.

Thanks,
Marc Reynolds
Microsoft Technical Support