vpn one nic

G

I have a win2k server sp4 with one nic. I have rras setup and users authenticate, but they cannot get to network shares. I am using real ipaddresses. Can anyone let me know if they have come into this problem and how to resolve it. Am I missing a check box or static route?

G

Also, this system is running dhcp, dns and wins. The rras gets ip addresses from a static pool that is not in the dhcp pool but is of the same network.

G

Also, it is a stand alone server, not a dc. I may of found the info online. I modified my lmhost file to the ip address of the rras server .84. Doing this allowed me to other network shares, but not the ras server that has shares also. I changed the lmhost file to the ip address of the ras fake or ppp adapter .70 and it works fine. So as I went through numerous news groups and read people stating that it is not possible to have a one nic vpn I have to say I am running one with good results
I guess my question now is that should I use the lmhosts file or the wins server? If I use the wins server how do I set it up for just the pptp adapter on the ras? I do not want it to effect the users that are locally on the lan.

B

Bill Grant

To use WINS effectively you need to disable Netbios over TCP/IP on the
RAS interface. (Otherwise you can cause name resolution and browsing
problems on the LAN). This requires a registry change. See KB 292822.

kbasehunter said:
Also, it is a stand alone server, not a dc. I may of found the info
online. I modified my lmhost file to the ip address of the rras server .84.
Doing this allowed me to other network shares, but not the ras server that
has shares also. I changed the lmhost file to the ip address of the ras
fake or ppp adapter .70 and it works fine. So as I went through numerous
news groups and read people stating that it is not possible to have a one
nic vpn I have to say I am running one with good results.
I guess my question now is that should I use the lmhosts file or the wins
server? If I use the wins server how do I set it up for just the pptp
adapter on the ras? I do not want it to effect the users that are locally
on the lan.

G

so this would be for the internal interface that has the .70 address. Not the .84 in which is assigned to the actual nic. I am having browsing issues with this system. I get what seems like a denial of service attack. It states that it found a duplicate system on the network, doesn't let certain users even attempt to connect. Some weird stuff.

B

Bill Grant

I would not disable WINS. As well as giving you better name resolution on
the LAN, it is needed for the remotes to resolve names of LAN machines.

Rather than disable Netbt on the internal interface, you could try
putting the remotes in their own subnet. See the discussion at the end of KB

kbasehunter said:
what happens if I disable wins. would I have the netbios conflicts on the
lan?

Ask a Question