VPN & Netgear FVS318

Alex Kalemkeris

Can someone help me with a quick how-to to configure my Windows XP & 2000
machines to work as a client to my Netger FVS318 computer? I'd like to use
the inherent VPN client in XP & 2000 for tempoaray connections to my home
network when needed.

Thanks for your help
Alex

Alex Kalemkeris

That's not actually what I'm trying to do.

I want to be able to configure my laptops to be able to connect to my home
network (FVS318) via VPN to the Netgear router.

Hence the need to have the XP/2000 machines to work as clients. I'd prefer
to use the XP/2000 base clients if possible since my 2000 machine is a work
computer using Intel's Netstructure SST protocol.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

OK - open inbound TCP ports 47 and 1723 for PPTP.

Alex said:
That's not actually what I'm trying to do.

I want to be able to configure my laptops to be able to connect to my
home network (FVS318) via VPN to the Netgear router.

Hence the need to have the XP/2000 machines to work as clients. I'd
prefer to use the XP/2000 base clients if possible since my 2000
machine is a work computer using Intel's Netstructure SST protocol.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
OT, but you do know the Netgear you have supports native IPSEC VPN,
right? Why not offload this function to the Netgear? Make sure
you're using the latest firmware on the NetGear and give it a go.

If you don't want to go that route, you'll need to open the requisite
ports
in your firewall: see
http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/20274/20274.html
for some
help.

Alex Kalemkeris

Maybe I'm missing something here.

How does that help me configure my Win2K and XP as a client? What
configuration should I use for the netgear?

Alex said:
Maybe I'm missing something here.

How does that help me configure my Win2K and XP as a client?

Sorry, you didn't seem to be asking "how do I set up a PPTP client" - I
misunderstood. You can just use the wizard to make a new connection in your
clients' network applets - choose VPN.
What
configuration should I use for the netgear?

You mean in the client? You just specify whatever your public IP address is
on that network, once you've opened up the ports I mentioned in the
firewall.

Alex said:
That's not actually what I'm trying to do.

I want to be able to configure my laptops to be able to connect to
my home network (FVS318) via VPN to the Netgear router.

Hence the need to have the XP/2000 machines to work as clients. I'd
prefer to use the XP/2000 base clients if possible since my 2000
machine is a work computer using Intel's Netstructure SST protocol.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
message OT, but you do know the Netgear you have supports native IPSEC VPN,

Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
Can someone help me with a quick how-to to configure my Windows
XP & 2000 machines to work as a client to my Netger FVS318
computer? I'd like to use the inherent VPN client in XP & 2000
for tempoaray connections to my home network when needed.

Thanks for your help
Alex

Alex Kalemkeris

I've used the wizard on the Netgear side to setup a IP SEC VPN with a
pre-shared key

I've also used the WinXP wizard to setup a VPN, disabled the login, and
enabled the pre-shared key. It still fails. Do I also have to open ports?
I've tried opening the ports for an L2TP and PPTP, with no luck.

Please understand, I'm very new to this capability, so please bear with me.

Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
Can someone help me with a quick how-to to configure my Windows
XP & 2000 machines to work as a client to my Netger FVS318
computer? I'd like to use the inherent VPN client in XP & 2000
for tempoaray connections to my home network when needed.

Thanks for your help
Alex

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Which do you want handing the VPN on the host side? Your router/firewall, or
your Windows box? You need to pick one....

Alex said:
Maybe I'm missing something here.

How does that help me configure my Win2K and XP as a client?

Sorry, you didn't seem to be asking "how do I set up a PPTP client"
- I misunderstood. You can just use the wizard to make a new
connection in your clients' network applets - choose VPN.
What
configuration should I use for the netgear?

You mean in the client? You just specify whatever your public IP
address is on that network, once you've opened up the ports I
mentioned in the firewall.
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
message OK - open inbound TCP ports 47 and 1723 for PPTP.

Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
That's not actually what I'm trying to do.

I want to be able to configure my laptops to be able to connect to
my home network (FVS318) via VPN to the Netgear router.

Hence the need to have the XP/2000 machines to work as clients.
I'd prefer to use the XP/2000 base clients if possible since my
2000 machine is a work computer using Intel's Netstructure SST
protocol.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
in message OT, but you do know the Netgear you have supports native IPSEC

Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
Can someone help me with a quick how-to to configure my Windows
XP & 2000 machines to work as a client to my Netger FVS318
computer? I'd like to use the inherent VPN client in XP & 2000
for tempoaray connections to my home network when needed.

Thanks for your help
Alex

Jeffrey Randow (MVP)

If you use Netgear's recommended client, look at:
http://support.safenet-inc.com/technotes/SR__NetGear_FVS318v1.4.pdf

Otherwise, look at
http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=445

(e-mail address removed)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

[...]

WinXP Client

Router Host

Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
Can someone help me with a quick how-to to configure my Windows
XP & 2000 machines to work as a client to my Netger FVS318
computer? I'd like to use the inherent VPN client in XP & 2000
for tempoaray connections to my home network when needed.

Thanks for your help
Alex

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Alex said:
WinXP Client

Router Host

Hmm - isn't this where I came in? We're sort of back to my first reply.
http://www.netgear.com/docs/technotes/MultiVendor/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwh
elp.htm

message Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something here.

How does that help me configure my Win2K and XP as a client?

Sorry, you didn't seem to be asking "how do I set up a PPTP client"
- I misunderstood. You can just use the wizard to make a new
connection in your clients' network applets - choose VPN.

What
configuration should I use for the netgear?

You mean in the client? You just specify whatever your public IP
address is on that network, once you've opened up the ports I
mentioned in the firewall.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
in message OK - open inbound TCP ports 47 and 1723 for PPTP.

Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
That's not actually what I'm trying to do.

I want to be able to configure my laptops to be able to connect
to my home network (FVS318) via VPN to the Netgear router.

Hence the need to have the XP/2000 machines to work as clients.
I'd prefer to use the XP/2000 base clients if possible since my
2000 machine is a work computer using Intel's Netstructure SST
protocol.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<[email protected]>

Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
Can someone help me with a quick how-to to configure my
Windows XP & 2000 machines to work as a client to my Netger
FVS318 computer? I'd like to use the inherent VPN client in
XP & 2000 for tempoaray connections to my home network when
needed.

Thanks for your help
Alex

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Hit send too fast. Also see
http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=575

Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
Can someone help me with a quick how-to to configure my
Windows XP & 2000 machines to work as a client to my Netger
FVS318 computer? I'd like to use the inherent VPN client in
XP & 2000 for tempoaray connections to my home network when
needed.

Thanks for your help
Alex

I think I know where Alex is going with his question.

What he is looking for is how to use the XP and 2000 VPN capabilities that
are already built in to the OS. He is not looking to use an external VPN
client software program like Safenet that Netgear has suggested. All of
Netgears documentations show how to use a VPN client that costs more than it
is worth. Windows should already have the function built in for FREE.

What settings need to be performend on Win to have it act like a client and
attach to a VPN tunnel on the FVS318?? I've tried this myself for over a
year now sice I purchased the unit when it was first launched. So far, I
have never been sucessful. I have even tried Nortel's software which my
company used with no sucess.

Any ideas how to get the Win OS to function as a client would be very helpful.

Alex said:
WinXP Client

Router Host

Hmm - isn't this where I came in? We're sort of back to my first
reply.
http://www.netgear.com/docs/technotes/MultiVendor/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwh
elp.htm

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
message Which do you want handing the VPN on the host side? Your

Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
Can someone help me with a quick how-to to configure my
Windows XP & 2000 machines to work as a client to my Netger
FVS318 computer? I'd like to use the inherent VPN client in
XP & 2000 for tempoaray connections to my home network when
needed.

Thanks for your help
Alex

Bill Sanderson

You need, of course, to be talking to a Netgear support forum.

I've skimmed through this thread

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10053432~mode=flat

without being clear whether anybody in it has accomplished what you
wanted--it doesn't sound easy--everybody says go with Netgears proprietary
client.

Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
Can someone help me with a quick how-to to configure my
Windows XP & 2000 machines to work as a client to my Netger
FVS318 computer? I'd like to use the inherent VPN client in
XP & 2000 for tempoaray connections to my home network when
needed.

Thanks for your help
Alex

Alex Kalemkeris

So I broke down and decided to pay for Netgear's support and got my answer.
Fortunatley for me, they agreed to not charge me because I found you cannot
do it. The build in windows client will work if you have a static IP and you
are not behind a NAT. If your behind a NAT and/or with a dynamic IP you
need to use their SW solution. Since my company uses the Intel Netstructure
client right now, I asked if I could use that in its place (since you can
only use one VPN client at a time). He said he didn't know, but was willing
to work with me on it. Since I didn't have the time when I was talking to
him, nor the ability to test, I optted for the no charge answer.

So does anyone know if the Prosafe VPN client plays well with another VPN
client software installed? I tried Safenet's which disabled all my network
capability and was a pain the xxx to uninstall. They didn't play well
together.

Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
Can someone help me with a quick how-to to configure my
Windows XP & 2000 machines to work as a client to my Netger
FVS318 computer? I'd like to use the inherent VPN client in
XP & 2000 for tempoaray connections to my home network when
needed.

Thanks for your help
Alex

Bill Sanderson

Jeffery knows the scoop on Microsoft VPN clients talking to Microsoft
servers through NATs--I believe it is XP SP2, or many older versions with
the downloadable VPN client software (www.microsoft.com/vpn) talking to
Windows Server 2003.

Definitely more information at the above link.

Not helpful in terms of the Netgear host, but just to mention that this is
an issue all VPN vendors are working hard on.

And, of course, talking about IPSEC vpns not PPTP, which does work fine
outbound through the average NAT.

:

Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
Can someone help me with a quick how-to to configure my
Windows XP & 2000 machines to work as a client to my Netger
FVS318 computer? I'd like to use the inherent VPN client in
XP & 2000 for tempoaray connections to my home network when
needed.

Thanks for your help
Alex

Jeffrey Randow (MVP)

Unfortunately NAT-T only works with a Win2K3 Server on the server side
(or one of the other OSS solutions)...