VPN ERROR 721 - This is a weird one !!!

Reaction score
Hello

I have been researching on the internet for about 5 days now for an answer and of yet i haven't found one.

I have a small network running a wired workstation a wired server and wireless laptops, all sitting behind a Linksys WRK54G Wireless router.

The Wired server and workstation have local static IP's with the router DHCP and NAT issuing all the IP's for the wireless laptop.

The router has its own static Local IP address and its all connected to NTL's broadband Home 250 modem.

I believe my problem lies within the router blocking the gre 47 but listen to this.

My mate wants to access files from my server from his home computer so we have both set up XP's VPN client and server.

When i say server its not running any server OS it windows XP pro SP2 with loads of server applets installed like apache, PHP, ftp, mail server etc mainly for websites and it server all internal computers multimedia.

From my server and workstation i can connect to his VPN no problems but when he tried to connect to me at the verifying stage after 30-40 secs it throws up a 721 error.

So i checked all my router settings and all VPN pass-throughs are enabled so i reset my router and server and still no look.

So i then decided to check all firewall settings both on his computer and my computer and router, all was as they should be gre was fine and port 1723 was open, i also configured the router to now forward port 1723 and protocol 47 on both TCP and UPD to the correct local IP, still the same problem error 721.

After some playing around i decided to upgrade the routers firmware and still no luck.

I set up the VPN client on one of the wireless laptops to use my public IP (just as my mate is doing) to connect so i can play around at home without having to pester him to try connect every min.

I got the same error, after double checking everything i changed the client in on the laptop to try to connect to the VPN using its Local internal IP (effectively bypassing the router) and straight away it connects with out a problem??

knowing it works internally i decide to double check all settings on the router again there fine but still can't connect from outside the network,

have tried the upnp service port triggering and forwarding and the DMZ feature all with no look??

any help you guys can give would be excellent as im really stuck on this on, all i can now think of is buying a new router which i don’t really wont to do.

Cheers

Ask a Question