VPN Connection downloading off exchange server!!!

G

Hi -- I've just installed office 2003 on a new PC, and will VPN into my exchange server at work to view messages. On my old PC (Win 2000 with Outlook XP), I setup a mail profile with my exchange server, and when I opened outlook would instantly see all my headers on our work server.

I tried the same in OL2003 (all settings left as default), but when I connected, Outlook started downloading off my work server into a local folder. I stopped this, and somehow managed to changed some settings to get it to default to my exchange folders instead, but it still continuest to download all messaged locally (I assume since it is very slow downloading as opposed to my old PC when it was as if I was working at the office). I have a cable connection with a VPN directly into our server, so I obviously have no need to download all my messages locally -- how do I setup OL2003 to behave properly, and how can I get my mails that were downloaded locally back onto my exchange server!?! Thanks in advance.

G

Update -- I figured out that I needed to turn off cached exchange mode to get it to work, however, in trying to figure things out inadvertantly cleared my offline folder that had the mail that had already been downloaded from the exchange server. Any way to get the cleared mail back so I can load it back up to the server? I've lost several important work emails...Thanks.

R

Roady

The offline folder is just a local copy of the Exchange server so it should
be on the Exchange server still. If you deleted it in anoter way you'll have
to ask your administrator whether they can do a restore for you.

--
Roady
www.sparnaaij.net
Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News
Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more...

Questions of the month:
-Color Code Your E-Mail Advanced
-Add Sound To Your E-mail

Subscribe to the newsletter to receive news and tips & tricks in your
mailbox!
www.sparnaaij.net

-----
Doug said:
Update -- I figured out that I needed to turn off cached exchange mode to
get it to work, however, in trying to figure things out inadvertantly
cleared my offline folder that had the mail that had already been downloaded
from the exchange server. Any way to get the cleared mail back so I can load
it back up to the server? I've lost several important work emails...Thanks.

G

Thanks for the response. Actually what I did was left everything as default when first setting up my exchange server account locally, so it began to download not to the offline folder but to a personal folder (i.e. it downloaded them OFF the server -- Why is this the default for an exchange server setup?!). I then managed to get it to download to the exchange server folders (which at the time did not realize were the offline folders), and moved the messages from the personal folders to this one, thinking I had copied them back to the server, and then removed the personal folders. It was only after I had cleared the offline messages, and figured out how to turn off the caching that I realized the messages had not been returned to my exchange server, but of course at this point I had deleted them. Is it possible to get these back from my local drive somehow? Thanks again.

Ask a Question