Windows Vista Vista

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Right then.

Me spec's in me sig.

Anybody know if all the drivers are available?

Like, for Creative X-Fi Audio; Nvidia 8800GTS; my onboard LAN?

And most important of all - if anybody's successfully running a Game in Vista - with no hassle - please let me know :)

Vista Home Premium 64 Bit is the flavour I have in mind and it's about £70.00 on average which oddly enough is about £25.00 cheaper than XP Pro - are Microsoft trying to tell us something there? :confused:

I want to hear, mostly, from Gamers running Vista but also interested to know whether MS Office 2003; Adobe Photoshop 7 and Nero 6.0 - to name just a few - work ok in Vista.

And IF I did buy Vista, would I be able to load my copy of XP onto another machine and activate it ok? Bearing in mind it's an OEM copy purchased 11 months ago and I've already activated it 5 times.

So I like a clean install now and again - is there a problem Mr Gates?

Anyways, key words: Vista; Games.

I thank you :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'm also interested in vista, from what i've read the nvidia drivers for vista have come a long way, performance is on par with XP apparently (Lets face it its not like they have to worry about the competition from ATI is it! :p). The only thing thats holding me back is the damn creative drivers... Not so good, still a bit buggy....

My plan is to wait until after Xmas as DX10 is the main reason to go vista to me and as thats not really taken off just yet.......:)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You might have some problems with Nero in Vista (not sure about Photoshop) - but there should be a patch out if it is a problem. Office 2003 works fine though :)

I wasn't keen on Vista gaming on my older rig, but on my new one which has similar specs (Q6600, 2GB 800Mhz, 8800 GTS) everything I've tried since runs fine. I haven't played any older games on it, so I can't vouch for that - but Crysis, HL:2, Bioshock etc... all work great.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for response fellas :)

There was an upgrade/patch out for Nero Six this year which I have, dated July I think, which probably addresses Vista. The last patch before that one was January 2006.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
tempted by the Dark Side

Your biggest concern would be "sound" drivers. Another new set were released yesterday (4th Oct), however, they still have some way to GO ... ;)

I can't help with all your games, but "support" has been swift in 99.9% of them in getting Vista specific bugs sorted.

Office 2003 has no problems. :thumb:

Dunno about Nero, not used it in a long time, didn't like the price or the added crap ... I use Ashampoo

Yes, you can, as I have, re-use your XP on another PC ... you may need to phone MS ;)

The only reason I can "see" for any "gamer" to want Vista over XP is ... DX10

:D

Attachments

• Vista Game rating 1.JPG
    Vista Game rating 1.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Vista Game rating 2.JPG
    Vista Game rating 2.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Vista Game rating 3.JPG
    Vista Game rating 3.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 93

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for feedback :)

Hmmmm..... I've had a look around, including the Creative forums and it does not look good.

Still lots and lots of problems with Creative cards in Vista, particularly the X-Fi series.

However, I could use an Auzentech X-Plosion card but that's going to cost me another £70.00 and it doesn't support EAX.

If that was an option, the X-Fi could go in the Media machine.

But no, I like the sound of my X-Fi, even though it's only the Audio version it sounds great to me, real big improvement over onboard sound, so I think I'm going to pass on Vista for now.

I honestly don't want to take the chance of having no sound or poor sound in some of my games.

Like V_R, think I'll wait until the Creative drivers have been sorted.

A few questions though:

1) Anybody got any links to Creative driver update news cos I can't seem to see anything at the Creative site, but that could just be me...

2) Anybody forsee any probs with the 64 bit version?

3) Is it possible to use 4Gb of RAM with the 64 bit version of Vista?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm using the latest Creative Drivers for an Audigy 2 and it works ok here :) What sort of problems were people having?

Ask a Question