From: "Keith D" <[email protected]>
To: "p_adderley" <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2007 10:19 AM
Subject: REPLY:- Vista / XP workgroup trouble

Hi

i had over 6 hours[i.m retired so had time] with the microsoft tec
department
in new delhi [ location here is uk] english was not a problem

mine was vista could see and get files from XP machine
but reverse was a big no-no

it finally got sorted via a conference call m/soft set up between me
m/soft tec dept and --- router[Lynksis] tec department

i was asked to place a floppy which contained files into vista machine
and lynksis who seemed aware of hassle as against m/soft who didnt
got this to work Xp could see files on vista floppy drive disk

microsoft then did the rest

re IPv4 address in this window i had 2 IPV4 AND IVP6

i remember they deleted ipv6 as i didnt need 2

i also had to remove the firewall /anti virus programme i had completly
!!!!!!!
and leave it bare for the moment of third party software of this type
mine was a free service from my ISP which had to go[see below]

in the vista machine from control panel select
network and sharing centre

mine has been set as follows

network discovery-------ON
file sharing -------ON
public folder sharing ----ON
printer sharing------OFF [re this my printer is connected thru router on
network]
password protected sharing------OFF
media sharing------ON

in same window
at top

network ------------ customise[click on this]

place dot in PRIVATE

thats all i can remember --as you can imagine after 6 hours[4 1 day 2
the
next]
its hard to remember all that was done and undone!!!!

i have since installed the microsoft anti virus/spyware programme
Windows Live One Care and am using free 90 day trial
as my isp admits there programme will not run in Vista

i needed one change in this live one care
change settings on left

firewall tab

firewall connection tool.

put a tick in file and printer sharing
then the usual apply---ok

hope this may help a little

cheers for now

Keith D.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Seems like you did try almost every thing. Have you cerate the same username on both computers? This case study may help,

Cases: Vista networking
http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=356

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Trying to share files on XP machines (XP1 = Ethernet, XP2 = Wireless) with my
new Vista HP (Vis) machine through Wireless Router.
I've set :
1. LLDP Reponder and can see XP1 and XP2 from Vis (in Full Map) but cannot
browse them
2. Vis Network Discovery is on
3. All PC's File Sharing is on
4. All PC's use the same Workgroup and can all access the internet OK
5. All PC's can Ping all others
6. All PC's are 'Clients for Windows Network'
7. XP2 is visible in Vis Network hive but not browsable - error = Network
Path Was Not Found
8. Vis Public Folder Sharing is turned on
9. No difference if I turn Filewall's off

May be related... what is an IPv4 address? all other pc's just have an IP
address.

Beginning to wish I'd stuck with XP!