Vista x64 Memory Problem

0

0wnage

Hi,
I'm very new to vista (64bit)) - and I have a real problem I can't see
to figure out and its driving me mad!! ha, well heres whats wrong :blush:

I'm not new to computers in which I built my own and I've had window
xp x32 running fine- recently I got some more memory (2gb) so now ther
is 6gb in 3/4 slots (3 x 2gb) on my pc,- I have recently installe
Windows Vista Ultimate (x64) and it is painfully slow to start up wit
all the memory installed- however it works just fine with 2gb in th
first slot- there seems to be nothing wrong with the memory its al
brand new kingston DDR2 PC6400 800Mhz and I have tried multipl
combinations, the memory will work as one single stick on its own- th
machine starts up quick no problems but if I put another stick in i
takes far too long and it hangs. My motherboard does support up t
8gb.
All the drivers are up to date and I considered updating my bios but m
motherboard is only a month old (Foxconn Sli680i) and I cannot seem t
find any supported 64bit drivers. This has really confused me and
cant find help anywhere- I hope I've supplied enough info.
I'm going to download vista 32 and try that
If anyone can help would be fantastic because I've browsed the net fo
two days now and found nothing that can help me!!.

thanks
Kallu

jaf

Hi,
Check the manual.
Maybe the memory has to be installed in matching pairs so three modules won't work?

John

MikeF

Have you run vista's memory diagnostic? Click start, type in diagnostic and
you'll see it.

0

0wnage

'jaf[_2_ said:
;783170']Hi,
Check the manual.
Maybe the memory has to be installed in matching pairs so three module
won't work?

John

"0wnage" (e-mail address removed) wrote in messag

Hi,
I'm very new to vista (64bit)) - and I have a real problem I can'
seem
to figure out and its driving me mad!! ha, well heres whats wrong :blush:

I'm not new to computers in which I built my own and I've had windows
xp x32 running fine- recently I got some more memory (2gb) so no
there
is 6gb in 3/4 slots (3 x 2gb) on my pc,- I have recently installed
Windows Vista Ultimate (x64) and it is painfully slow to start u
with
all the memory installed- however it works just fine with 2gb in the
first slot- there seems to be nothing wrong with the memory its all
brand new kingston DDR2 PC6400 800Mhz and I have tried multiple
combinations, the memory will work as one single stick on its own
the
machine starts up quick no problems but if I put another stick in it
takes far too long and it hangs. My motherboard does support up to
8gb.
All the drivers are up to date and I considered updating my bios bu
my
motherboard is only a month old (Foxconn Sli680i) and I cannot see
find any supported 64bit drivers. This has really confused me and I
cant find help anywhere- I hope I've supplied enough info.
I'm going to download vista 32 and try that
If anyone can help would be fantastic because I've browsed the ne
for
two days now and found nothing that can help me!!.

thanks
Kallum

- All the memory modules are the same and it wont let me add just tw
of them- it will only work with one it never did with XP i could use u
to 4 but since i switched to vista it wont run with 4 either :

Dominic Payer

Presumably your motherboard is a Foxconn N68S7AA-8EKRS2H . It supports dual
channel memory, and for this to work the memory must be installed in matched
pairs of DIMMs. 3x2GB DIMMs will not get the best performance from it. There
may be a "memory hole" option in the BIOS which needs to be set to allow the
OS to use more than 4GB of RAM.

Drivers for the 680i chipset are found at
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

The latest BIOS for that motherboard is from April last year, so yours
probably has it installed already if it is only a month old.
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/suppo...ductModel=N68S7AA-8EKRS2H&TypeID=en-us0000003

0

0wnage

;783930']Presumably your motherboard is a Foxconn N68S7AA-8EKRS2H . I

'Foxconn - Support - Downloads' (http://tinyurl.com/a9q6op)

"0wnage" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

[...]

Yeah mate thats my board - I have all the latest drivers etc for it, i
wont boot or run properly with 4 gig ( dual channel) either, I reall
cant figure this out my machine works fine on XP ( only sees 3gig bu
thats obvious because my gcard) XP 32 ( same ) XP 64 ( works fine bu
GAMES wont work!!!? choppy gfx) vista 64 (takes hours to boot and i
the most painful experience Ive ever had) ha ha
dont really know what to do right now im having to run 2gig in this an
its really quite terrible i like my games :(
thanks for anyone who can help!!!!

UPDATE : I can not find any option relevant to memory in the BIOS iv
had a good look. AHhhhhhhhhh!