Vista SP1 / IE7 or IE8beta - Webpages not accepting Passwords

I have been using Vista for some time now and I am exceptionally happy with
it, however recently one of my machines has developted a odd problem.

When I visit a website that uses java for password authentication, it always
fails even if I give it the know good password.

I've installed IE8 beta wondering if it would help with no change; in the
end I have to use firefox for these two websites that I need on a daily
basis.

I find firefox slow and I want my IE back, does anyone have any suggestions?

To Date

- Installed latest JRE
- Added these sites to trusted sites with the lowest security level.
- Enabled various security options in the advanced tap
- Reset everything to defaults

It works on my other vista boxes, just not my laptop where I need it most.

Anyone have any ideas?

Theese are not websites I program or write, so it is not a programming issue
as it works on other Vista machines and it used to work on my laptop up
until a month ago.

solon fox

[...]

Firewall settings? Maybe reset your firewall to original settings?

-solon fox

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

There are many reasons which might cause the current issues.
Please try the following steps to fix the issue:

Method One:
===========

Please try the following steps to reset Internet Explorer first.
1. Click Start, please type "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotation marks) in the
Start Search bar and press Enter to open the Internet options window.
2. Switch to the Advanced tab.
3. Click the "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" button.
4. Click Reset to confirm the operation.
5. Click Close when the resetting process has finished.
6. Uncheck the "Enable third-party browser extensions" option in the
Settings box.
7. Click Apply, click OK.

Method Two:
===========
Please login your system using build-in Administrator account and check
whether the issue occurs any more.

Method Three:
============
As this issue might be related to third-party add-ons, please disable the
add-on one by one and check whether this makes any difference.
To disable IE add-on, please do as follows:

1. Open Internet Explorer
2. Click Tool
3. Click Manager Add-ons
4. Click Enable or Disable Add-ons.

Please let me know when you finish the test. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support

| From: <[email protected]>
| Subject: Vista SP1 / IE7 or IE8beta - Webpages not accepting Passwords
| Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 06:52:38 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| I have been using Vista for some time now and I am exceptionally happy
with
| it, however recently one of my machines has developted a odd problem.
|
| When I visit a website that uses java for password authentication, it
always
| fails even if I give it the know good password.
|
| I've installed IE8 beta wondering if it would help with no change; in the
| end I have to use firefox for these two websites that I need on a daily
| basis.
|
| I find firefox slow and I want my IE back, does anyone have any
suggestions?

| To Date
|
| - Installed latest JRE
| - Added these sites to trusted sites with the lowest security level.
| - Enabled various security options in the advanced tap
| - Reset everything to defaults
|
| It works on my other vista boxes, just not my laptop where I need it most.
|
| Anyone have any ideas?
|
| Theese are not websites I program or write, so it is not a programming
issue
| as it works on other Vista machines and it used to work on my laptop up
| until a month ago.

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Dear Customer,

Regarding your last email , I am just check and follow-up on your status.

I was wondering , if you were available to try conduct test and answer my
questions.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support

| From: (e-mail address removed) (Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT])
| Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 09:11:09 GMT
| Subject: RE: Vista SP1 / IE7 or IE8beta - Webpages not accepting Passwords
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| Hello,
|
| Thanks for your post.
|
| There are many reasons which might cause the current issues.
| Please try the following steps to fix the issue:
|
| Method One:
| ===========
|
| Please try the following steps to reset Internet Explorer first.
| 1. Click Start, please type "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotation marks) in
the
| Start Search bar and press Enter to open the Internet options window.
| 2. Switch to the Advanced tab.
| 3. Click the "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" button.
| 4. Click Reset to confirm the operation.
| 5. Click Close when the resetting process has finished.
| 6. Uncheck the "Enable third-party browser extensions" option in the
| Settings box.
| 7. Click Apply, click OK.
|
| Method Two:
| ===========
| Please login your system using build-in Administrator account and check
| whether the issue occurs any more.
|
| Method Three:
| ============
| As this issue might be related to third-party add-ons, please disable the
| add-on one by one and check whether this makes any difference.
| To disable IE add-on, please do as follows:
|
| 1. Open Internet Explorer
| 2. Click Tool
| 3. Click Manager Add-ons
| 4. Click Enable or Disable Add-ons.
|
| Please let me know when you finish the test. Thanks.
|
| Sincerely,
| Neo Zhu,
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| =====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| =====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Vista SP1 / IE7 or IE8beta - Webpages not accepting Passwords
| | Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 06:52:38 -0400
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| |
| | I have been using Vista for some time now and I am exceptionally happy
| with
| | it, however recently one of my machines has developted a odd problem.
| |
| | When I visit a website that uses java for password authentication, it
| always
| | fails even if I give it the know good password.
| |
| | I've installed IE8 beta wondering if it would help with no change; in
the
| | end I have to use firefox for these two websites that I need on a daily
| | basis.
| |
| | I find firefox slow and I want my IE back, does anyone have any
| suggestions?
| |
| |
| | To Date
| |
| | - Installed latest JRE
| | - Added these sites to trusted sites with the lowest security level.
| | - Enabled various security options in the advanced tap
| | - Reset everything to defaults
| |
| | It works on my other vista boxes, just not my laptop where I need it
most.
| |
| | Anyone have any ideas?
| |
| | Theese are not websites I program or write, so it is not a programming
| issue
| | as it works on other Vista machines and it used to work on my laptop up
| | until a month ago.
| |
| |