Windows Vista Vista Security ... the War goes on

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I been readin again ...
laughingsmiley.gif

Vista is shipped with a "new improved" Firewall ... it can now block outgoing traffic as well as inbound crud.

Actually, XPs Firewall can do the same, but "home users" are not IT experts who know what they are doing.

Non the less, Vista's firewall does have "Advanced Security" that is user customizable, providing you are an expert at setting "Rules" for it ... by default, Vista's firewall allows ANY communication with the outside world. That is, ALL outbound traffic is allowed to pass through.

I would like to know who here actually understands Firewalls & can "configure" their 3rd party firewall that does not interfere with a simple home network ... anyone ?

I have used several Firewalls in the past, and, un-installed everyone of them, mainly 'cos I ain't got a degree in setting them up in the first place ... no, really, I really do believe you ain't got a clue what you are doing even using ZA or any other firewall ... you just press buttons, and hope for the best.

So, despite what I would recommend, that one should install a better firewall than the Microsoft's rendition, I have no firewall other than MSs own installed on my PCs.

Now, before you all go tutting, I do use a NAT Router, while I will agree not a true Hardware Firewall Router, it is far superior than a software firewall you know nothing about, especially how to configure it for a simple network.

My simple rule here is ... don't let any feckin nasties get in in the first place ... I will trust my NAT Router to be my first line of defence. :thumb:

Oh, and I did check with several on-line services such as GRC's Shield Up and I am very happy to find all is stealth-ed.

Antivirus ?? ... I'm using NOD32, nice, not that I need it yet, but it's good to feel secure.

Comments greatly appreciated. ;)

Reaction score
Before i upgrade to Vista i was waiting to see how other's got on with it.
Your sort of a human guinea pig on Vista, but in a nicer way of course Mr Muckshifter, Sir.:D

muckshifter

Reaction score
I'm in my element ... I just love finding things out for myself. :D

I've been on both sides of the fence ... keep commin down in favour of MS Windows, so much so that I only now have one PC running Linux. :eek:

There are cravats to any new OS no matter what the platform ... MAC, Linux or Windows ... but you do need a newish PC to take full advantage of all the "toys" they have included in Vista, but not as "powerful" as some people are touting you need ... it is quite nippy even with all the bells-n-whistles full on.

I just networked the Old Girl, now running XP, to Vista ... easy enough, just pressed the buttons and voilà.

Hell, even have the English-British spell checker workin in Firefox ... that may be down to the fact I actually installed the thing in the first place ... still misses a few words, but Google's toolbar speller picks 'em up for me.
laughingsmiley.gif

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Have to agree with you Mucks on Firewalls - I too have gone back to using my NAT router and XP firewall, and have had no problems and as you say it shows 'fully stealthed' when tested at the various security sites - so I don't see the point in using a third party firewall.

As regards AV - I have just completed a months free trial with Kaspersky and found it excellent, if a little over zealous with its warnings at times - now trialing NOD32 and noticing its scanning is quicker and appears to use less resources :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Have to agree with you Mucks on Firewalls - I too have gone back to using my NAT router and XP firewall, and have had no problems and as you say it shows 'fully stealthed' when tested at the various security sites - so I don't see the point in using a third party firewall.

As regards AV - I have just completed a months free trial with Kaspersky and found it excellent, if a little over zealous with its warnings at times - now trialing NOD32 and noticing its scanning is quicker and appears to use less resources :thumb:
:) NOD32 is err, different ... but I like it. :thumb:

Still using KAV on XP, as I now have 6 more months till it expires, I'll continue with NOD on Vista for the "trial" period and see how I like it enough to buy a licence. Probably will though.

I am also using Firefox 2, Thunderbird for me mail and have also installed CCleaner & SBS&D ... SBS&D is not really needed as I do trust Windows Defender, plus the fact that CC deletes all the crap cookies also.

I have not turned off UAC and although it can still be a tad ... huh! wtf ... I see no difference in it and Linux. ;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
:) NOD32 is err, different ... but I like it. :thumb:
Yep, I found that too - strange interface compared to others and a little less intuitative, but I like the fact it doesn't bloat the system and if I decide to purchase its a bit cheaper than KAV :thumb:

Ask a Question