Windows Vista Vista Outgoing Firewall

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I saw this in an article about Vista Tips.

Enable Vista Outgoing Firewall

As you know Windows Vista, like XP before it has a built-in firewall that protects your PC against external hack attacks. What you may not know is that like all the best third-party firewalls the Vista firewall can also block outgoing traffic, in other words it puts you in charge of the software on your PC trying to make use of your Internet connection. Most of the time this is just legitimate programs looking for updates and so on, but it can also be nasties, like Trojans and keyloggers, sending out details of your PIN numbers or spying on your web surfing activities.

The new firewall sound’s great, the only trouble is that by default it has been disabled by Microsoft. It is worried that home users would find it difficult to configure. Well, if you want to take back control you can, with a little freeware utility called Vista Firewall Control, and it couldn’t be easier to use. Once installed every time a program tries to access the net for the first time a window pops up asking you for permission. Once you’ve allowed it you won’t hear from it again. The paid-for versions are even more configurable but for most users this free program will do everything you need, and provide you with the much-needed protection Microsoft has denied you.

It linked to this website for the download.

Should we be looking at this or are we OK to just continue to use Windows Firewall.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Use Windows Firewall as you are ... no nags, no interruptions, no indecisive actions, no websites being blocked, no configuration knowledge needed, NO headaches. :thumb:

:nod:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks Mucks, I'll leave things exactly as they are in that case. As you say it seems to work very well as it is. :nod: :thumb:

Ask a Question