Vista Firewall Control (free)

Red nosed raindeer

http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html

Vista Firewall Control

Protects your applications from undesirable network incoming and outgoing
activity, controls applications internet access. Allows you to control
personal information leakage via controlling application network traffic.

Features

a.. Designed for Windows Vista
b.. Free
c.. Protection from incoming and outgoing threats
d.. Simplicity of operation

Red nosed raindeer

Richard you are correct. it is a UI for the firewall... I will get around
testing it soon

Richard G. Harper said:
Looks like a UI for the Vista Firewall, not a standalone. I'm sure some
brave person will install it and report back to us. :)

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (e-mail address removed)

Colin Barnhorst said:
This is what the built in Windows firewall does. Why use a second one?

Henry

I tried it and could not get it to install, removed it and restored to an
earlier time, had problems with the boot loader then, I would say don't try
it.

Colin Barnhorst said:
This is what the built in Windows firewall does. Why use a second one?

Michael Jennings

I tried twice to install it. It was in add/remove but not working
with a notice that it hadn't installed. I uninstalled and tried again to
find that it had done the same, so I uninstalled and didn't try again.

Richard G. Harper

Reading Henry and Michael's comments, I'd say don't bother. ;-)

--

Colin Barnhorst said:
This is what the built in Windows firewall does. Why use a second one?

Jeff

Well,

If a don't try it; you'll never know-lol
Yup its a gui aiiight.
shows applications/programs, and does give the ability to allow inbound or
outbound, in a small package-not flashy in the least, but heck what do ya
expect.

Jeff

Richard G. Harper said:
Looks like a UI for the Vista Firewall, not a standalone. I'm sure some
brave person will install it and report back to us. :)

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (e-mail address removed)

This is what the built in Windows firewall does. Why use a second one?

John Barnes

I have tried installing so many programs that have failed and caused Vista
to be unusable that I don't want to 'try' something for the fun of it. I am
tired of reinstalling Vista due to failed installs. I have begun installing
on a second copy of Vista first, something I won't be able to do with Vista
RTM. Guess it will require full backups before any install. Will probably
have to group installs.

Red nosed raindeer said:
Richard you are correct. it is a UI for the firewall... I will get
around testing it soon

Looks like a UI for the Vista Firewall, not a standalone. I'm sure
some brave person will install it and report back to us. :)

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (e-mail address removed)

This is what the built in Windows firewall does. Why use a second
one?

Jeff

Sorry for your luck,
didn't have a problem installing it at all, here
In fact, haven't had many issues installing stuff.
Then again, I always save the install and right click-run as admin- to
install(if possible)

Jeff

"Red nosed raindeer" <-> wrote in message
Richard you are correct. it is a UI for the firewall... I will get
around testing it soon

Looks like a UI for the Vista Firewall, not a standalone. I'm sure
some brave person will install it and report back to us. :)

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (e-mail address removed)

This is what the built in Windows firewall does. Why use a second
one?

Michael Jennings

I saved the install and right clicked run as admin. Event Viewer sez:
Activation context generation failed for
"C:\Program Files\VistaFirewallControl\VistaFirewallService.exe".
Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.ATL,processorArchitecture="x86",
publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50608.0"
could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis

Vista Firewall Control is not running. Rather than find out how to activate
the GUI for the Windows firewall, or attempt to run sxstrace.exe; I'd like
to install a third party firewall. Kaspersky's isn't ready yet. The old
Sygate 5.6 says it's missing something - it's there but it won't work.

Trying for Trend's beta gets me a demand for Excel. Open Office would
install - Sun's JRE would not. Open Office opened Trend's beta tester
spreadsheet, but I decided to just try an install after looking at it.
Trend asked to uninstall avast, but I like avast, so I aborted Trend.

Good to know that OO is a go, but the infrastructure for Vista hasn't
formed yet. If I want the firewall to block outbound I'll need to give
it a lot of study. I'll either spend the time, or start shunning Vista.

Jeff said:
[...]

guess I'm lucky-
it installed for me with no problems-but
I don't like it to begin with, and Vista's firewall is much better than
XP's;
haven't had the need for a 3rd party firewall;
running Avast myself; love it

Jeff

John Barnes said:
[...]

I figured out how to block outbound by default. It passes GRC's leak test.
I've started a list of allowed programs with WinMail and iexplore.

It would be convenient if there were an "ask" option between allow and
block.
I know I'll feel put upon having to create "allow"s for everything that
wants out.

Barry

I have tried installing so many programs that have failed and caused Vista
to be unusable that I don't want to 'try' something for the fun of it. I am
tired of reinstalling Vista due to failed installs. I have begun installing
on a second copy of Vista first, something I won't be able to do with Vista
RTM. Guess it will require full backups before any install. Will probably
have to group installs.

Have to agree ... I like Vista but have found application compatibility to
be disappointing. Many things install but don't work ; some don't install
but do work by manually copying the folder & related files from XP ; many
things install and <partially> work ; compatibility mode usually doesn't
help. It will soon be time (sooner then I had hoped) to wipe out the Vista
partition and start over with a clean Vista partition image ...

Barry

I figured out how to block outbound by default. It passes GRC's leak test.
I've started a list of allowed programs with WinMail and iexplore.

It would be convenient if there were an "ask" option between allow and
block.
I know I'll feel put upon having to create "allow"s for everything that
wants out.

I too have done this. Be sure to enable logging for dropped outgoing
packets. You can view the log to see what was blocked that perhaps you
want to allow. Unfortunately, there are no Vista prompts for outgoing
traffic ... I keep a desktop link to the log file.

Michael Jennings

Barry said:
I too have done this. Be sure to enable logging for dropped outgoing
packets. You can view the log to see what was blocked that perhaps you
want to allow. Unfortunately, there are no Vista prompts for outgoing
traffic ... I keep a desktop link to the log file.

Thanks. I guess I'll find out how long it all takes - indefinite, I suppose.

Mark Veldhuis

Have to agree ... I like Vista but have found application compatibility to
be disappointing.

Question is: should an Operating System be compatible with applications,
or should applications be compatible with and Operating System?
The applications that are not compatible with Vista right now will most
likely get an update in the weeks/months to come, which will make them
compatible with the new OS.
Backwards compatibility is good, but it can't go on forever.

Kind regards,
Mark Veldhuis.

John Barnes

The applications that are not compatible with Vista right now will most
likely get an update in the weeks/months to come, which will make them
compatible with the new OS.

Unfortunately, most handy little applications never get updated because the
writers move on, the programs get bought up by some company that doesn't
want the competition and they either let them die or include the functions
in some other program with a plethora of useless functions. I agree that
eventually you have to let backward compatibility go, like 16-bit on 64-bit
platforms. It just means that one has decide which is more important, a new
os and its features or the old os with all the programs that provide the
functions that make life on the computer a more pleasant experience.
My biggest complaint is the number of times that failed installs required a
reinstall of Vista and anything done since the last backup. I used to do a
full backup once a month but with Vista, it seems necessary before
installing any software not specifically labeled Vista compatible.