Windows Vista Seem to be stuck behind a firewall on a few applications

Reaction score
Hello,

Since I have arrived home from University, and have changed from their network to mine, I have come across a firewall problem where I cannot:

- Connect to MSN live
- Update my AntiVir definitions
- Update my SuperAntiSpyware definitions
- Download game patches etc etc

I have been troubleshooting for a little bit and I can't get my head around it, it is probably a simple fix but I don't know what to do and that is why I came to the online bible to find an answer.

I am running Windows Vista, on a wireless connection. I have tried to turn Windows Firewall OFF and I am still getting the error messages when trying to connect/update programs.

Regards
Geo

Reaction score
What Anti-Virus are you running? Have you tried disabling it to see if it will allow you to do what you need to?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
did you have to install anything on your pc when you went to uni so it would work with the uni network?

Reaction score
Erm no I dont think I did, I just played around with a few settings.

I am using AntiVir Personal and Windows Firewall, I just turned both off and the problem is still happening... Maybe it is a setting somewhere which I need to change.

My internet i working fine, and everything worked back at uni and I remember this computer working fine last time I came home for the weekend, I dunno what's up???

Reaction score
Okay I managed to fix the problem!

Because I was using two internet browsers, Mozilla and IE, all of the programs seemed to be taking the settings from IE which was using a proxy.

So i reset the IE settings and now everything works. I can see myself having to re set all of the settings when I get back to uni, but that isn't for three weeks yet so all is gravy baby!

There must be an easier way to do this? If so please enlighten me :)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
G~MAN said:
Okay I managed to fix the problem!

Because I was using two internet browsers, Mozilla and IE, all of the programs seemed to be taking the settings from IE which was using a proxy.

So i reset the IE settings and now everything works. I can see myself having to re set all of the settings when I get back to uni, but that isn't for three weeks yet so all is gravy baby!

There must be an easier way to do this? If so please enlighten me :)

Proxy was the next thing i could think of

you should just be able to uncheck the 'use proxy' option and all of the settings should stay there, alternatively you can try autodetect settings when you get back

Ask a Question