Vista & Quicken 2004 won't start

Tim

Hi there,

Anyone any ideas on why this won't install it says

1. C:\Program Files\Quicken\qwapp.dll The specified module could not be
found

2. C:\Program Files\Quicken\qwinver.dll The specified module could not be
found.

When I then try to start the Quicken program I get

The application has failed to start because MFC70,dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

It doesn't and I'm not happy.

Any ideas?

Many thanks, Tim.

Richard Urban

Compatibility. Get the latest version.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Tim

Hi there,

Why should I isn't the point of Vista to be able to use programs we used on
XP Pro and there is no update or latest version?

Many thanks for your input but help would be more useful.

Tim.

R. McCarty

The APIs ( Application Program Interface ) changed from XP to Vista.
Vista is code based on Windows Server 2003, not XP. Certain things
that programs could do in XP aren't allowed in Vista. Operating Systems
have rings or layers where operations are performed. Intuit's programs
obviously have code that won't function in the new Vista model. It's an
Intuit problem, not Windows Vista. Not everything that works with XP
is directly usable under Vista. I'm currently waiting on APC to release
their PowerChute UPS monitoring software for use with Vista. The current
XP release (Ver 2.0) is not compliant. It will load, but causes issues.
That's
why you have to be very careful about what you install. Just because it will
load does not mean it will run or run reliably. The danger is that some
apps
once installed will not uninstall properly or cause system instabilities.

Ed.

Sure there's an update. It's Quicken 2007.

Tim said:
Hi there,

Why should I isn't the point of Vista to be able to use programs we used
on XP Pro and there is no update or latest version?

Many thanks for your input but help would be more useful.

Tim.

Tim

Hi there,

I was aware of the code but this is just a Mickey mouse program nothing to
great.

We are in the UK Quicken 7 is for the US not the UK or I would have bought
it.

Oh well guess I'll stay with XP and just play with Vista who knows what
other programs aren't going to work.

Many thanks, Tim.

Paula

Actually even Quicken isn't going to support version 2004 any longer. I got
a notice from Q that they were no longer going to allow online access for
version 2004 and sent me a coupon for a discount on their newer version 2007
which does support Vista. So even if you didn't upgrade to Vista you are
still SOL in any OS.
Paula

Tim

Hi there,

Didn't upgrade came with the new computer but I would like to continue using
Quicken 2004 not, repeat not the US version 2007 which does not work with UK
banks.

I'm well aware that Quicken has no support it doesn't really need it.

Just a pity Microsoft don't spend a little more time thinking about their
users programs when changing their OS. As I say I have XP Pro so not an
issue for now and will have to buy QuickBooks 2006 UK version (or the 2007
version) as I can transfer my 2004 data across to that version and it will
run on Vista but for now I'll carry on playing with Vista to find what other
programs of mine if any I have problems with.

Good job I didn't buy Vista to run as my main OS like quite a few people
have?

Tim.

Richard Urban

It is a known fact, and Intuit (the makers of Quicken) even admit to the
fact, that Intuit has not been writing their code to accepted Windows
standards for the past many years. They do it their own way. Windows XP was
very tollerent, as compared to Vista. Vista is forcing companies to write
code correctly, and to accepted standards.

Quicken refused to do so. Now it has bitten them in the ass.

Get the latest version or do NOT use Quicken. It can NOT be fixed.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Tim

Hi there,

You're not listening there is not a latest version here in the UK if there
were I'd buy it?

Tim.

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Tim

That is NOT the fault of Microsoft, with all due respect.. as Richard has
pointed out, Intuit do it their way..

Ed.

He can also use MS Money 2007. It should as past versions be able to convert
all your Quicken Data over to it. I haven't used it as I use Quicken but I
would assume Microsoft Money would have a good chance working with Vista.

Ed.

Does the UK have a later version of MS Money ?? Quicken can convert and be
transferred to Money.

Tim

Hi there,

We seem to only have Microsoft Money 2005 available here in the UK I have
thought about moving to that but not sure if it is compatible with Vista and
can I transfer Quicken XG-2004 files across to MS Money I know you can
transfer some Quicken files so I will ask this question in the MS Money
Newsgroup.

Will MS Money 2005 work with Vista anyone know if it will?

As for not Microsoft's fault sorry I don't hold with that idea all I see is
more changes some good but some just causing more problems. This will
result in people having to ditch well used and tried software with something
new the only winners here are Microsoft and all the other software makers
who will now sell you Vista compatible software oh and compatible hardware
to run the software.

Many thanks for all your help, Tim.

LarryE

This is just a suggestion and I have no idea if it will work but, try
installing Quicken to C:\Program Files
I had a problem and when I installed it to there instead of C:\Quicken, it
fixed it. Try it, you just might get lucky.

Good luck.

Tim

Hi there,

It automatically loaded into C:\Program Files\Quicken but will try a custom
install but looks like I will have to move to MS Money if I can find the
right working version for Vista in the UK.

Many thanks, Tim.,

Robbie

Hi Tim,

We have a similar problem not only with Quicken, but also with
QuickBooks 2006. The latter is a $900+ Intuit product (We use a
multiuser version which is very expensive).
Intuit recently announced that there will be no Vista compatible update
for QuickBooks 2006. You must buy the 2007 version.
Quicken/QuickBooks are not the only problem software. VNC, ZoneAlarm,
and NaturallySpeaking 9 Professional are but a few of the application
programs that we use regularly that are incompatible with Vista. Even
Microsoft's own SQL Server 2005 and Visual Studio 2005 install with
warnings that there are "issues" with installing the software on
Vista/Longhorn.
Users should be well aware that many commonly used programs are
incompatible with Vista. Upgrades, if available at all, may prove to be
very costly.

Seb

Tim said:
As for not Microsoft's fault sorry I don't hold with that idea all I see
is more changes some good but some just causing more problems. This will
result in people having to ditch well used and tried software with
something new the only winners here are Microsoft and all the other
software makers who will now sell you Vista compatible software oh and
compatible hardware to run the software.

Why dont you just keep Windows XP if your keen on keeping tried and testing
software?

Your not being forced to use Vista...

John Blessing

Tim said:
Hi there,

Anyone any ideas on why this won't install it says

1. C:\Program Files\Quicken\qwapp.dll The specified module could not be
found

2. C:\Program Files\Quicken\qwinver.dll The specified module could not be
found.

When I then try to start the Quicken program I get

The application has failed to start because MFC70,dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

It doesn't and I'm not happy.

Any ideas?

Many thanks, Tim.

Did you try running the install as administrator?

FYI, I am still running Quicken 2000 and it runs quite happily on Vista <g>

--
John Blessing

businesses
for your meeting/class over the web.