Vista and McAfee

cbcb52

After real trouble with Norton's products , I'm thinking to go
for McAfee.
I'd like to know if anyone uses it with Vista , AND opinions
about the product ( McAfee Internet Security )

Doris Day - MFB

This reply is not coming from Outhouse Express, hence not top posted ...
cbcb52 said:
After real trouble with Norton's products , I'm thinking to go
for McAfee.
I'd like to know if anyone uses it with Vista , AND opinions
about the product ( McAfee Internet Security )

More bloatware, similar to Symantec, from what I've seen on clients' boxes.

Love and Kisses,
Doris

--
My Microsoft Hero (he loves this company!) ... http://tinyurl.com/yp9cn2
Vista - easy to hack - a warning: http://tinyurl.com/2nv4yl

BChat

I agree w/ Steve

Actually I won't use either.
Have you tried the free AVG from Grisoft?

David Dickinson

cbcb52 said:
After real trouble with Norton's products , I'm thinking to go
for McAfee.
I'd like to know if anyone uses it with Vista , AND opinions
about the product ( McAfee Internet Security )

I (and therefore my clients) were loyal McAfee users for more than 20 years.
However, after several years of disappointment with their direction, I (and
therefore my clients) have switched to ESET's NOD32. The reasons:

1) Although their latest version put back much of the configurability that
they'd taken out after version 7, McAfee still makes it difficult (if not
impossible) to set some option.s

2) It is slow, slow, slow, and puts a huge load on system resources.
Calling it "bloatware" is being kind.

3) ESET's heuristics are better without giving false positives.

4) It has a small memory footprint and demands /much/ less of the system.
It is fast.

5) It is fully configurable.

6) http://www.av-comparatives.org/

I have a friend that bought a Dell with Vista and it came with a 30 day trial
of McAfee. Since the day he turn it on, McAfee was a REALLY resource hog, so
I advised him to uninstall it. And after a reboot he did notice a BIG
difference in performance.

Ken Blake, MVP

After real trouble with Norton's products , I'm thinking to go
for McAfee.
I'd like to know if anyone uses it with Vista , AND opinions
about the product ( McAfee Internet Security )

As far as I'm concerned, Norton security products are the *worst*
available, and McAfee's are the second worst. I wouldn't use either of
them on any of my computers.

There are lots of better choices, and many of them are freeware.

Personally I use the Windows firewall, Avast! Anti-virus, Adaware,
Spybot Search and Destroy, Spyware Blaster, and Windows Defender.

David Dickinson

.... and one more thing:

While I believe that McAfee's research staff is supurb and that their
programmers are conscientious (if inefficient), their support stinks (their
answer to everything is "uninstall and reinstall"), and their sales staff is
a bunch of thieves (they'll send you email telling you to renew your license
six months before your license expires, and their site makes it difficult if
not impossible to find their least-priced packages that don't include quite
so much junk). And what is worse, I had to use McAfee's support services
many times last year because of problems with their software.

I've never had to ask ESET for support. They're software just works, and it
gets the highest ratings in AV tests.

David Dickinson

Charles W Davis said:
It is just a matter of time. I suggest that you uninstall and install the
free AVG. http://free.grisoft.com

I know that there are a lot of AVG fans out there, but it just doesn't
provide the protection.

See: http://www.av-comparatives.org/

It has lousy detection of new ("unknown") viruses

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2007_05.php

and it's protection using definitions is average, at best, except for
polymorphic viruses, where it's below par

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2007_02.php

Rock

After real trouble with Norton's products , I'm thinking to go
for McAfee.
I'd like to know if anyone uses it with Vista , AND opinions
about the product ( McAfee Internet Security )

Don't use either Norton or McAfee. There are better, less resource heavy,
and less problematic alternatives. On the free side I prefer Avast. For
paid there is Kaspersky and NOD32.

stuart forshaw

Hi

Symantec/Norton appear to be having extreme problems with NIS2007 both with
XP and Vista.

We use and install Mcafee Internet Security Suite 2007 and have found it
works extremly well with Vista.

Please bear in mind that this a full suite, e.g firewall, spam/spyware
detector and Anti-virus and therefore consumes more system resources than a
standalone A.V.

From our tests Mcafee caught more trojans/viruses and suspected malware than
AVG Free, however the choice is yours.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Stuart

Steve Easton

David Dickinson said:
I know that there are a lot of AVG fans out there, but it just doesn't provide the
protection.

See: http://www.av-comparatives.org/

It has lousy detection of new ("unknown") viruses

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2007_05.php

and it's protection using definitions is average, at best, except for polymorphic
viruses, where it's below par

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2007_02.php

Been working fine for me for years.
I have it set to automatically update definitions at boot.
Most of the time they're updated by the time the desktop displays.

Jeff

I have used symantec corporate edition and mcafee on our computers at work
and would definitely NOT recommend using them.

try www.avast.com

They have an excellent antivirus program for the home user thats free (i
think they charge for their "pro" version but I think thats more for
businesses).

Runs great and won't slow your computer down.

Jeff

in message news:[email protected]...

KristleBawl

McAfee *used to be* very good as a stand alone antivius, but it has become
too big and heavy. After running my new OEM with McAfee trial, I've replaced
it with Avast4 (free) and my Vista restarts faster. When I turned email
scanning off, it really did turn off, and Windows Mail is running faster,
too.

KB