Vista ... and Games

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Let me first say ... I'm NO gamer ... this is not intended to be an "in-depth" review of games on Vista ... just merely one persons feedback.

There are some very good sites out there that have done a lot of "real" testing on nearly all the popular games ... go read them instead.
nod.gif

Anyway, I have a few I like to play. :D

I'll start with "Silent Hunter III" ... oh shut up at the back, I like it. :p

Installation: No bother

Updates/Patches: Now then ... this is not the first time I have clicked on an .EXE file and Vista's UAC has not pipped in asking me, do I know what I'm doing, and would I trust this program ... yep, even I was a little surprised. ;)

However, the patch failed to "successfully" install all of it gubbins. It is overwriting files in one of Vista's "protected" folders after all.

Hmmm, bugger, BUT, as soon as I pressed the Finish button, Vista popped up with a notice ... would I like to give this program Admin rights ... so I did. :D Nice, it worked no bother & was successful updated. :thumb: how did it know that ?
GamePlay: I still get sunk, no difference there then.
laughingsmiley.gif

Guild Wars

Updates/Patches: well, they are automatically downloaded when you log-on, so no bother there.

GamePlay: Wow ... it just works. :D
I would like to add that the graphics are superb, actually better than XP, though I have gone back to 1024x768 as it is easier on my eyes. ;)

Oblivion

Updates/Patches: No Bother

GamePlay: Again, I do see an improvement in graphics, it is quite noticeable too, this game is quite a power drain on lesser cards, but my little 7600GT / 256 is doing ok on this one. :thumb:

Well there you have it ... not much to report, was there ? :blush:

However, if you wish to send me any games for evaluation, then I'll be only too pleased to "test" 'em out for you. Offer closes April 1st.
nod.gif

I have been looking for an old game I have ... Woolfenstine (sic?) ... no, not the newish one, the one we got on a 1.44 floppy disk and played in DOS ... can't seem to find it. :(

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I have been looking for an old game I have ... Woolfenstine (sic?) ... no, not the newish one, the one we got on a 1.44 floppy disk and played in DOS ... can't seem to find it. :(

errr.

Good luck with that :D.

What games have you heard of mucks that dont work at all on Vista?

muckshifter

Reaction score
michael 118 said:
errr.

Good luck with that :D.

What games have you heard of mucks that don't work at all on Vista?
Oh, I have the floppy disk here somewhere, it's just finding it. There is no real DOS support in Vista. ;)

Games ... nup, you is asking the wrong person ... Mr Google as loads of answers there.

I do see people having the "same" problems as with any new OS ... works for me, nope I can't get it to work, works for me, nope I can't get it to work ... same story. :D

The thing to remember is ... I have Vista, but my hardware may be entirely different from the next person and I really think that is just as important to list. Also, there are at least 3-4 decent versions of Vista.

Would be nice to see anybody else's comments on games that are running Vista here @ PCR. :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
try Mr Google

feckit said:
Can you play Theme Hospital with Vista?
I dunno, can you ?

What I do remember is ... it only seems like last year when a lot of "gamers", even here, were never ever no way going to install XP and were going to stick with Win98.

:lol:

Time, it's going to take time ... If you were around when Win95 first came out and you were using Win 3.11, you were in for a big shock ... nothing fecking worked if you upgraded. ;)

Reaction score
Must admit i jumped at the chance to use XP even when it first came out.
Mainly as you did not need the drivers for USB flash drives etc.
As for Vista, well i may succumb to using it shortly!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Originally posted by Muckshifter
I have been looking for an old game I have ... Woolfenstine (sic?) ... no, not the newish one, the one we got on a 1.44 floppy disk and played in DOS ... can't seem to find it.

Yoo hoo Mucks:wave: Regarding Wolfenstein, I found a website with retro games downloads, which says that "This is the original Wolfenstein game..." so not sure if it's the one you're looking for?
http://www.goldfiles.com/portal.php?fileid=70

muckshifter

Reaction score
thanks very mucksly

Thank you TC, that was the one ... amazing game, and all on one floppy disk too. ;)

:D

It's the only "first person shooter" I've ever had ... :lol:

I manage to download it before the site 501ed on me ... gonna unzip it and see if it runs. :nod:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Thank you TC, that was the one ... amazing game, and all on one floppy disk too. ;)
:D It's the only "first person shooter" I've ever had ... :lol:

I manage to download it before the site 501ed on me ... gonna unzip it and see if it runs. :nod:

Any luck? I just gave it a go - being partial to the odd game myself, particularly if it's not a huge download - but it wouldn't unzip, I got a message telling me that the file was possibly corrupt :( .... sigh...Oh well, guess it's back to Highway Persuit for me :nod: I can seemingly manage a fair bit of damage with that :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
No, it will not install on Windows. :D

I was "playing" with the hardcore gamers minds here.

We need a nice 486DX 50 with a whole 1meg of RAM and 256k video card running DOS ... we could run it out of Win 3.11 though, in a DOS box.

muckshifter

Reaction score
oops

Starforce :mad:

I shutdown & restarted this morning ... had an information popup in the taskbar telling me a "driver" had been blocked from running ... I clicked on it and it mentioned Starforce.

One game has now been uninstalled (SH3) but, I had to also go get the Starforce removal tool ... it don't get uninstalled at the same time as the game does. Not a happy bunny ... nor a happy muckie. :mad:

I'm not alone, obviously, there are quite a few "anti-hacks" for games in existence ... what annoyed me is the "rootkit" way in which Starforce hid itself.

DRM ain't a problem, no it ain't, but the "protection" being used in some games is causing a lot of grief.

Check the game manufacturer for any "fixes" that may be available. :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
michael 118 said:
On the plus though Mucks, Silent hunter 4 is out now :D

Pretty good deal here
Yes, I know ... ;) :thumb:

I have, another, Burbday in April, that's next week :p the day after Mr Floppybootstomp's shindig ... I have already been teased by my brother & Kevin (my niece's partner) as they both have "their" copy ... :wall:

Ubisoft dropped the use of Starforce some time ago after all the hullabaloo of reports of that "security" heap of junk screwed with peoples hardware. I forgot about it when I installed SH3 on Vista. :rolleyes:

http://silenthunter4.uk.ubi.com/

:user:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have always wondered what those sub games are like, think I will have to give silent Hunter 4 a go, seen it in game but wasn't sure about it..

Anyone give any feedback on SH4 and whether its any good and worth buying...

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I have, another, Burbday in April, that's next week :p the day after Mr Floppybootstomp's shindig http://silenthunter4.uk.ubi.com/

Is this a legitimate birthday or a birthday because you want that game? :p

Surely you could find a patch for starforce on the inter-mer-web?... some crazy fan is sure to have made one...

muckshifter

Reaction score
michael 118 said:
Is this a legitimate birthday or a birthday because you want that game? :p
Yes! :p

Surely you could find a patch for starforce on the inter-mer-web?... some crazy fan is sure to have made one...

Yes, there are a few ... however, I'm not a gamer, but tell me ... why do games that have no "security measures" (Oblivion springs to mind) still sell & outsell with no adverse affect on revenue to the game writers ?

If I have to Hack, Crack a legitimately bought game, then they can go kiss my ass. Once bitten, twice shy. Watch this space. :D

Reaction score
Its all about the money mucks...

I agree with you though; why should you have to crack your own legitimate game?... Sort of defeats the point of buying legtitimate.

Reaction score
Having some fun so far with Vista, my Nvidia 8800GTX and some games/applications

Incredimail
Have got it working using run as administrator but it won't import my old mail and settings from my old computer grrr.

City of Heroes
Not supported on Vista. Mouse cursor doesn't exist in game. Got round this fact running windowed. Ocassionally bombs out complaining about nvdd driver and requires a full reboot to fix.

WH40K Dark Crusade
8800GTX and vista not supported. There is a fix available on their support forums though where you kid the 40K graphics system into recognising the 8 series GPU as a 7 Series. Works fine after that.

Oblivion
Works out of the box. Graphics on max and are gorgeous.

Ask a Question