Virtual Machines

Reaction score
The future is virtual machines.

I was wondering if any of you use any virtual machines.

I think they are great I am currently using sun VM virtual box and it is brilliant.
I've been able to install lots of different versions of windows and linux and dual boot options are no longer needed.

For all of you that don't have sun virtual box installed please see:

http://www.virtualbox.org/

Enjoy :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, I've been using this application for a long time to test Linux and Windows 7. It's a great way to dabble with other operating systems without needing to worry about dual booting or messing anything up.

If you run older games, you can even install Windows 98 and emulate the hardware that you used to have years ago - meaning you can run games like "Constructor" and "Theme Hospital" properly :)

Reaction score
So ya's reckon it's safe enough to install. I would like to try windows 7 and have partitioned my hard drive using the windows partition tool but it only gave me a 15Gb partition which is a little on the small side.
This may be the answer to my problemma.
I'll try it later and post back.

Reaction score
Oh it is definitely safe to run no problems.

You will have to create a virtual disk. It can be bigger than 15GB
It can be quite fun actually

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I installed that program over six months ago with a view to running Win98 in it.

All I got was problems so I must admit I kinda gave up on it :(

Perhaps I'm lazy but it didn't work for me.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
captain zed said:
So ya's reckon it's safe enough to install. I would like to try windows 7 and have partitioned my hard drive using the windows partition tool but it only gave me a 15Gb partition which is a little on the small side.
This may be the answer to my problemma.
I'll try it later and post back.

This is handy for partitioning etc.

http://partedmagic.com/

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
psd99 said:
well what were the problems that you got?

Can't remember now but there's a thread somewhere all about it.

I do remember it took several hours to install Win 98 and then I couldn't get the sound to work :confused:

It's still loaded, I may go back to it.

I'm also going to try DOS-Box soon to see if I can run Little Big Adventure 2, which was designed to run in DOS/Win 95.

Reaction score
Yup... my laptop is runnig W7 with Virtual PC for other O/S's and I've almost finished converting all our infrastructure over to vSphere (ESXi 4). Atm I have roughly 12 servers per ESXi Host (2 ESXi Hosts with a redundant for balance loading incase of hardware failure on one of the others). The best thing is that if hardware fails the VM is fine as the devices are virtual... you can just restart it on different hardware (Intel or AMD).

Reaction score
JaLing said:
Yup... my laptop is runnig W7 with Virtual PC for other O/S's and I've almost finished converting all our infrastructure over to vSphere (ESXi 4). Atm I have roughly 12 servers per ESXi Host (2 ESXi Hosts with a redundant for balance loading incase of hardware failure on one of the others). The best thing is that if hardware fails the VM is fine as the devices are virtual... you can just restart it on different hardware (Intel or AMD).

that sounds well good

what do you use the virtual machines for?

I've setup the networking on ESXi before it is almost like a GUI interface
it was a nice yellow colour too

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Can't remember now but there's a thread somewhere all about it.

I do remember it took several hours to install Win 98 and then I couldn't get the sound to work :confused:

It's still loaded, I may go back to it.

I'm also going to try DOS-Box soon to see if I can run Little Big Adventure 2, which was designed to run in DOS/Win 95.

I'm sure it needs a little bit of manipulation that should do it.

there's a few different versions out there but I found the sun java one to be the best.

Just a quick one aimed at everyone but how do I get the virtual machine to go full screen?

I see the option on the menu but when I press it
it is far from FULL screen it still comes up small and centred in the middle of the screen
how can I get the virtual machine to be proper full screen? just had a thought would i need to change the resolution in the virtual machine os itsel?f

Reaction score
I have as follows
PDC = Host1
SDC = Host2
Exchange 2k3 = Host1
Proxy = Host1
SQL Server = Host2
SQL Server2 = Host1
Terminal Server = Host1
Various other servers for specific applications, departments and access.

Ask a Question