virginmedia

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
lol, so what, they cant keep their 20meg service working to top speed.......

Reaction score
Very true!

And even if it is stable they throttle you as soon as u start to use more than they think you should and thats on 20meg imagine what they gonna be like on 50!!!!

Reaction score
50MB.
laughingsmiley.gif

Their having a laugh, i'm lucky to get over 2.7MB!!
And it has NEVER gone anywhere near to 4MB!
And this until my exchange is upgraded by BT in Q4 2008 to go between 4MB to 8MB+.

Last edited:
Reaction score
on 20mb at the moment and my download speed is slow for some reason.

Got 2.5mb per sec on the NVIDIA website not sure if that normal for 20mb service.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
michael555 said:
on 20mb at the moment and my download speed is slow for some reason.

Got 2.5mb per sec on the NVIDIA website not sure if that normal for 20mb service.

With Virgin it is :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This is Zen's 8Mb service:

Or to be more accurate Up to 8Mb service.

Sometimes I think Trading Standards should look at some of these claims.

Reaction score
I were with NTL but! when they changed to Virgin I changed to BT I find BT @ 8Mb this is what I get so it is a better service with BT:nod: Thats just my opinion.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 92

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I actually like Zen a lot, I've been with them over five years now, superb company.

However, I expect to be moving soon and I may go in for one of those Virgin all-in-one packages as I already have their mobile phone service.

Was thinking maybe: mobile; landline; cable TV; broadband. It must work out cheaper.

Only thing I'm worried about is I been spoilt for five years with a really good ISP and I'm a little wary of Virgin who are definitely up there with the amateurs like Talk Talk and Tiscali in my book.

Or am I wrong? Are Virgin Broadband actually any good?

btw, here's one of the Zen main men showing off their new headquarters at Rochdale.

Not quite your usual Managing Director - which is another reason I like Zen.

http://www.zen.co.uk/about/our-new-hq.aspx

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i wouldn't touch virgin media, they seem to be a bit hit and miss when it comes to their service

my girlfriend's parents have just BB with them and they have nothing but trouble with it, its incredibly slow and every time i've been round it seems to be down or struggling to get above 1Mb/s which is a joke compared to what they used to get with tiscali

on the other hand though my friend that lives down the road from me has the phone/TV/BB package and doesn't have any problems with them at all and manages about 6Mb/s

they both live about the same distance from the exchange yet get completely different internet connection speeds

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Avoid Virgin Flops, especially as your an online gamer. ;)

Two of my Clan mates are with Virgin, we play on our CoD4 Hardcore server which i ping at 24ms, they can be anywhere between 40 and 100!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I just signed up to DSL Zone Link and took their speed test, it was a little more encouraging than the earlier one I took with Speedtest so I wonder who is the more accurate?

Link to my speed test

I must admit it does seem fast, downloads nice and quick.

And looking at the top rated ISP's at that site I failed to see how FAST came top, their service doesn't look that good at all. Maybe just more people bothering to vote for them.

Zen (my one) is 11th.I pay £25.00 a month, 20Gb limit, I haven't used more than 12Gb a month yet. I know this as I can view all my stats at Zen's site.

After looking at lots of ISP's I figure I could probably get the same service - on paper anyway - for about £5.00 a month less, but with one exception - 2Gb of web space. if I take that into account together with five years of a truly fine service where I haven't been able to fault them at all then I don't mind paying the extra fiver.

And it's only a one month contract as well.

Now, looking at all the different specs, 02 looks like incredible value for money, no trimmings but for £12.50 a month you get 8mbs and unlimited usage. How can they do that? Well that's what it says on paper anyway. Only big drawback is 12 month contract but if you figure you're staying put for 12 months and their service is any good, it looks to be worth considering for that price.

Maybe I'll start a thread asking folk to list their ISP experiences. Figures and specs and charts are all well and good but they are not the complete picture.

A few other interesting chart placings out of a chart of 38:

26 Virgin Cable
30 Demon
36 BT
37 Virgin ADSL

Pip pip! :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
How far away was the nearest server? How many people were online at the same time as you in your street (cable) or your local exchange (ADSL) ??

How fast is the server you first contacted? How many 'hops' did it need?

There is a lot more to it than just raw speed ... :D

Here's an example ... I'm on "up-to" 8Mb

hmmm, seems I got over 15Mb ... BT must be re-routing my service.
laughingsmiley.gif

It's a game ... a numbers game. ;)

user.gif

Ask a Question