Violent video games alter brain's response to violence

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
For a long while, critics of violent video games have argued that they cause people to be more aggressive. Those in opposition claim that this is nonsense - more aggressive people are just more interested in playing violent games than less-aggressive people. It is an argument that has gone round and round in circles for a while.

However, work done by scientists at the University of Missouri-Columbia suggests that there is indeed a causal link between playing violent games and heightened levels of aggression - previously, it had been thought that there was merely an association between the two.

The research was conducted by analysing the P300 brain responses ("[which] reflects an evaluation of the emotional content of an image") of various gamers when presented with an array of images - including violent, negative ('bad' images that are not violent - for example, a sick child) and neutral images. It showed that gamers who are keen on violent games react almost the same to violent images as they do to neutral images, yet show normal responses to non-violent negative images.

According to psychologist Bruce Bartholow; "This may not be surprising - video games have been used to desensitise soldiers to scenes of war. But when the players were subsequently given the opportunity to 'punish' a fake opponent in another game, those with the greatest reduction in P300 brain responses meted out the most severe punishments."

Read more at New Scientist

Attachments

• fight.jpg
    fight.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 1,608
Reaction score
ultimately someone's response to violence would depend on his character/personal traits - unless he plays these games in extreme excess! (we're talking days non-stop?)

I'm sure that 2hours max violent gaming per day will not make one become violent, or have his 'brain altered to the way it responds to violence'

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
poppy cock

Sorry, but they do not know what they are talking about ... put me on their "test bed", and I'll throw a spanner in their works.

;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I like violent video games :)

I'm also fond of placing live puppies and kittens in industrial food processors :)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:

I'm also fond of placing live puppies and kittens in industrial food processors :)

living proof that violent video games dont affect the brain ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
living proof that violent video games don't affect the brain ;)
Nope! Floppy exaggerates ... I don't play violent games, but I know how to operate a microwave. ;)

:p

Reaction score
First off, I agree with Mucks, they don't know what they're talking about. Who were they testing?
... I love Violent games, movies, and even music. I watch anime simply because the graffic killings and fight scenes put a lot of movies to shame. Also I played violent sports in shcool.. football(American style), Wrestling and Lacrosse. I also did mixed martial arts for a few yesrs.

The point I'm trying to make is... if you gave me a "simulated" scenario where I was supposed to attack something... I would give it the most savage beating I could possibly deliver.

In actuality.... I don't enjoy inflicting pain on people. Violence is still and will always be my last resort.

Reaction score
Ive never heard so much poo in all my life!

Like i would really go around in my car running over people and smashing thru shop windows and robbing the owners of all their hard earned cash.

Pfft, I dunno some prof and doctors really do need hammering with a baseball bat sometimes ;)

Oh and floppy,

floppybootstomp said:

A normal home food processor works m8. Just use a sharp knife to make the bits smaller first. MUHAHAHAHAHAH

Oh hi guys, Ahem and girls ;)

Happy new year btw :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
games & violent games

Yes some people may get effected by playing video or pc games, but the majority of normal people see it as a release and escaping for a time from hectic lives and seeing if they can better their score or level against others.

Ask a Question