Very unstable PC, any ideas why?

What, from experience has caused your PC to lock up?

• Ram

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • PSU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • M/B

• CPU

• Other

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hello,

I've had no end of trouble with the PC I built myself for uni, it just keeps "locking up" or "freezing". I've changed the HDD to a SATA drive, tried an old AGP card, swapped over the PSU with another PC, Taken all PCI cards and limited IDE drives to one CD-rom. Thought it may be heat, although the hardware monitor thinks otherwise (around 39c for cpu and system temp) ...bought two 80mm fans to blow air out the back of the case as this seemed a good idea anyway (replaced one old 60mm fan) . I can't test the DDR 400 ram or AMD 2400 XP Athlon or the MB (although the MB seems ok) as I can't swap these parts over without buying them! Full spec is below:

AMD 2400 XP Athlon
Abit KV7 motherboard
512MB DDR 400 Crucial Ram
80GB Seagate SATA HDD
Creative 5200 GForce 5 AGP8x 128MB Ram
Coolermaster fans throughout (one on CPU, Two case fans.)
Creative 5.1 sound card
U.S Robtics LAN Card (PCI)
+ printer, scanner etc etc

It plays up time to time just playing media (i.e mp3's etc) or just moving the mouse! Although it is certain to lock up when trying to play a game!

Software O/S:

Windows 2000 SP4 (fully up to date)
Norton systemworks 2004
Office XP
Few other apps

Any advice, thoughts or just general comment would help me!

Thanks,

Phil

p.s When I say lock up, I mean lock up...can't do anything...have to reset machine.

Reaction score
hiya Phil. i used to have a pentium1 200mhz with 256sd ram. and i ran windows xp on this. it was terrible v v slow. as soon as id play a song the music would stop on one point and the whole pc would become unresponsive. so i had to reset.i knew that the processer just wasnt good enough and that the ram was unmerited.

with regards to your pc you seem to have it sorted good specs there for the modern era.
but readin that ur pc locks up is unusual.

i need to ask some questions. if u were to play a song or a movie would the pc halt? or does it restart? do u ever get any error messages with a blue window?

now should your pc halt and become unresponsive im pointing in the direction of either your ram or your cpu. have u tried RESEATING these? lol i just did that with my pc. try this first. then i want to ask the question about putting windows xp on that system. get hold of another harddrive prehaps your old one and setup windows xp on this. but remember to back up all data and remove the other harddrive.

do they call it AMD Ahthlon 'XP'2400 for a reason? i dont know but try this and voice your solutions.

good luck mate

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You can test the memory without using substitute sticks using this program Memtest.

It's a freebie and you can either download the program and boot from a floppy disk or a better option, download the program ISO and burn a bootable CD to run the program. Once started, the program runs through a series of tests and loops. Let it run a couple of hours and you'll soon know if the memory is faulty or not. This program has helped me out several times in identifying faulty RAM.

If it does show faults, then test each stick one at a time to identify the faulty culprit.

As for finding out what's causing your constant problems, it's a process of elimination, I'm afraid.

You could try doing a fresh install of your Operating System and not using Norton Systemworks, see if that helps. Or if you have a spare hard disk, use that to save wiping your existing drive.

Good luck.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You don't mention what PSU you are using ... I see from Abit's site they recommend/approve several PSUs, starting at least at a 350watt, I would recommend at least a 450

Also, this MB has an additional 4pin power connector (just behind the mouse/keyboard connections) ... you are using it, yes?

Crucial memory is NOT on the "approved 400 memory" list at Abits site. :confused: You did check at Crucial that the memory you bought is approved/proven to work with the KV7

Mucks.

Reaction score
Ok my PC has in the past crashed from just moving the mouse, no blue screen, just locks up. Has also crashed from playing music, doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. In regrds to the PSU...to be honest I'm thinking this may be a contendor for the sauce of the problem, It's 300W, have tried 350W and another 300W (am using the 4pin connector). may buy a 400-500w PSU but don't really want to spend cash on something I don't need! I already have two spare PSU from old machines!! Never thought of checking the approved list, never been a problem in the past...prob email them to see what they say.

Thanks for your replies so far!

Phil

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Crucial memory is NOT on the "approved 400 memory" list at Abits site. :confused: You did check at Crucial that the memory you bought is approved/proven to work with the KV7

Mucks.
what is the url for that, can't find it!

Thanks

Phil

Reaction score
mate. pop down your local pc shop and see if u can put in a 450w psu in your system just to see it it makes the difference, if it does then this is the culprit.

so u will know where the money is needed to be spent:_) all free of charge of course!

Reaction score
ok going to order a 500w power supply. See what happens. Memtest showed no errors, good little program that!

while i'm waiting for my PSU and you think of anything else please let me know!

Thanks

Phil

Reaction score
Thought these may tell a story:

active temp: 70c
pwm temp: 39c
cpu temp: 38c
cpu fan speed: 4891rpm
NB fan speed 4687rpm
cpu core: 1.63 - 1.66v
atx 3.3v: 3.24v - 3.26v
atx +5v: 4.99v
atx +12v: 11.97
agp vddq voltage: 1.55v
ddr voltage: 2.68v
battery voltage: 2.96v
stanby: 4.89v

these are from the pc health status in the bios, ring any alarm bells?

Phil

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Where's the sensor for the active temp? In other words, what is the active temp, what's it measuring? It does seem a little high, depends what it's measuring, really

Other than that, as far as I can see all looks good.

Reaction score
All of the sensor readings I could take are listed...
temp.jpg

Seems ok to me!

Phil

Reaction score
Update

Ok, put my 500w PSU in, got a new heatsink and fan (the old one was very loud). Still no joy! Ran memetest and that showed no errors, have taken all expansion cards out except the agp graphics. Still locking up...must be the CPU or MOBO! Balls! :mad:

Phil

Reaction score
ok i gave up, taken to a computer shop to get tested, they reckon it may be the cpu! Will find out 2mrow and post the result of this very annoying mystery!

Phil

Reaction score
Processor over heating

Ok....The problem was caused by:

The heatsink and fan not being attached properly. Well having said that the crap sachet of glupe that came with the processor and fan was rubbish! Put some cooler master stuff in and all sorted! Local PC repair shop sorted this.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
..... are you kidding me?
it took ya 3 years to respond?

took your time didnt ya? :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I think this must set a record for longest time to update a thread :lol:

Glad you got it sorted.

And that's not glue between the CPU and cooler btw, it's thermal paste. It's to aid heat transfer, not to glue them together.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I think he meant gloop . How much do you reckon they charged him for the three years worth of work .

laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Ask a Question