any ideas welcomed

Reaction score
Hello to everyone...my current system:
Asus P5Q E motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor LGA775 Kentsfield 2.40GHZ
Corsair XMS2 DHX TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX 4GB DDR2 2X2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-12 Corsair HX620W CMPSU-620HX ATX Triple 12V 50A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply 2X PCI-E
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (320 MB?)
Antec 1200, Xigmatek cooler
Windows xp pro

I just dropped 1400 bucks cdn on my kids new computer, went with same case, tasty power etc etc and a Phenom II 965 Black edition
and a Radeon hd 5770. Now I am jealous. It kicks my computers virtual ass at the games I like to play such as Cod World at War,
Battlefield 2 and soon Battlefield Bad Company. I would like a new video card (hd 5770 ? ) but the more I look into it, the more
I get confused. Here is a list of stupid questions:

Can I just throw a new video card in it and thats it?....and which one Radeon or Nvidia?
Is my cpu too weak?...should I get a new one or god forbid try to overclock it ?
Is my RAM acceptable or should I upgrade...stay with ddr2 or go to to ddr3? (can I on this board?)
I would really like Windows 7 like my sons new comp has as well, should I get 64 bit?

Its all just too much for my brain...Im old and my brain is tired, any guidance would be hugely appreciated. I dont need an absolutely
killer system but with say 400 to 500 cdn what would be my options for owning poning pwning or whatever when I play other old farts?
Should I go downstairs and pull dirty socks from under his bed, shake my head and say ''Im sorry son but I warned you about this sort
of thing'' and then switch computers?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
jasonb said:
I get confused. Here is a list of stupid questions:

Can I just throw a new video card in it and thats it?....and which one Radeon or Nvidia?
Is my cpu too weak?...should I get a new one or god forbid try to overclock it ?
Is my RAM acceptable or should I upgrade...stay with ddr2 or go to to ddr3? (can I on this board?)
I would really like Windows 7 like my sons new comp has as well, should I get 64 bit?

Its all just too much for my brain...Im old and my brain is tired, any guidance would be hugely appreciated. I dont need an absolutely
killer system but with say 400 to 500 cdn what would be my options for owning poning pwning or whatever when I play other old farts?
Should I go downstairs and pull dirty socks from under his bed, shake my head and say ''Im sorry son but I warned you about this sort
of thing'' and then switch computers?

Hi Jason and welcome to the forum :)

Switch computers - problem solved :D

To Answer your questions one at a time:

Yes you can just put a new video card in. But before you do it's best to uninstall current video drivers and download latest drivers to suit your new card ready for installation.

Nvidia or ATI? Your choice, whichever gives best bang for the buck as they say.

I'm using the same CPU as you in my main rig but with a better video card and it's playing all latest games well but admittedly some are not at full res. I don't think an upgrade would benefit you a great deal but you could certainly try overclocking but bear in mind the CPU will get hot so be reasonably sure your CPU cooler can cope.

Your RAM is perfectly acceptable with XP, Vista and Win 7. You cannot put DDR3 RAM in your current motherboard.

Win 7 - 64 Bit all the way, I'm running 64 Bit Win 7 and have had no problems, Microsoft seem to have got it right at last and the greater majority of 64 Bit drivers are available.

I don't know what 400 to 500 cdn would buy, one of your suppliers there is Tiger - correct?

Short of getting a new motherboard/CPU/memory/video card the biggest enhancement to your gaming will be a new video card.

Either go the whole upgrade route or buy the most expensive video card you can afford, there are some very tasty options from both Nvidia and ATI at the moment.

Ask a Question