VCD_PLAY.exe

User

Hi,

I have to prepare a VCD which then will be distributed
for educational purposes. It's difficult to say whether
it's a commercial task (as a whole) or not.
To be sure that the VCD can be used on every computer
with Win95 or above, I have to include Autorun.inf
and a player, for example VCD_PLAY.exe (Roxio).

My questions are:
1) is the VCD_PLAY.exe program a free one and can I burn it
on VCD together with films which have to be distributed?
(I got the program with one of magazines which included
a film in VCD format)
2) if not, where I could buy ithe VCD_PLAY.exe with a proper
license?
3) do you have any other idea how to solve the problem of
playing the films on every computer with Win95 or above?

Regards
User

-Art-

Hi,

I have to prepare a VCD which then will be distributed
for educational purposes. It's difficult to say whether
it's a commercial task (as a whole) or not.
To be sure that the VCD can be used on every computer
with Win95 or above, I have to include Autorun.inf
and a player, for example VCD_PLAY.exe (Roxio).

My questions are:
1) is the VCD_PLAY.exe program a free one and can I burn it
on VCD together with films which have to be distributed?
(I got the program with one of magazines which included
a film in VCD format)
2) if not, where I could buy ithe VCD_PLAY.exe with a proper
license?
3) do you have any other idea how to solve the problem of
playing the films on every computer with Win95 or above?

Regards
User

DigiMode Free VCD Player
http://www.digimode10.com/digimode_free_vcd_player.htm

Just start this small program on your desktop and your VCD on the CD
drive will automatically start playing, even if the VCD is not a
standard AVSEQ dat VCD, That means any video type on CD drive will
Play. Great Videoclips Player, Avi Player, mpeg Player, Fast Windows'
media player. Put this small program in any CD that contains Video
weather standard VCD or Not. It will Automatically load all video
files into a play list and play. Very powerful Video Player Indeed.
Great Design and features unique to it's own. It also can search for
video in any location you specify and it has full screen controls.

-Art- (not Art)

David

Hi,

I have to prepare a VCD which then will be distributed
for educational purposes. It's difficult to say whether
it's a commercial task (as a whole) or not.
To be sure that the VCD can be used on every computer
with Win95 or above, I have to include Autorun.inf
and a player, for example VCD_PLAY.exe (Roxio).

My questions are:
1) is the VCD_PLAY.exe program a free one and can I burn it
on VCD together with films which have to be distributed?
(I got the program with one of magazines which included
a film in VCD format)

Why don't you contact the magazine and ask if it may be freely
distributed?

User

I have to prepare a VCD which then will be distributed
DigiMode Free VCD Player
http://www.digimode10.com/digimode_free_vcd_player.htm

Just start this small program on your desktop and your VCD on the CD
drive will automatically start playing, even if the VCD is not a
standard AVSEQ dat VCD, That means any video type on CD drive will
Play. Great Videoclips Player, Avi Player, mpeg Player, Fast Windows'
media player. Put this small program in any CD that contains Video
weather standard VCD or Not. It will Automatically load all video
files into a play list and play. Very powerful Video Player Indeed.
Great Design and features unique to it's own. It also can search for
video in any location you specify and it has full screen controls.

Thank you very much. I think it's what I'm looking for.
However I can't find on the site any information whether only downloading
is freeware or also using is freeware. I'd be happy to have information
from the author or owner of the program that I can freely put it on CDs
and then distribute it for private or commercial purposes.
Of course "commercial purposes" doesn't mean that I want to sell the
program. The CDs will be distributet for free but, as far as I know, the
company which will burn the CDs will take money for burning.

In fact, I haven't found any license of the program usage on the site.

Regards,
User

User

I have to prepare a VCD which then will be distributed
Why don't you contact the magazine and ask if it may be freely
distributed?

Thanks for your reply.

There is a notice on the VCD that it mustn't be copied, sold, etc.
as a whole or any part of it.

Regards,
User

Susan Bugher

Thank you very much. I think it's what I'm looking for.
However I can't find on the site any information whether only downloading
is freeware or also using is freeware. I'd be happy to have information
from the author or owner of the program that I can freely put it on CDs
and then distribute it for private or commercial purposes.
Of course "commercial purposes" doesn't mean that I want to sell the
program. The CDs will be distributet for free but, as far as I know, the
company which will burn the CDs will take money for burning.

Searching the PAD Repository often turns up useful info:
http://www.asp-shareware.org/pad/padlib.asp

the "VCD Player" pad file is here:

http://www.digimode10.com/vcd.xml

lots of info including:

<quote>
<Permissions>
<Distribution_Permissions>Distributed Freely, No
restrictions</Distribution_Permissions>
<EULA>Use Freely, No Restrictions</EULA>
</Permissions>
</quote>

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

User

Hi again,
Searching the PAD Repository often turns up useful info:
http://www.asp-shareware.org/pad/padlib.asp

the "VCD Player" pad file is here:

http://www.digimode10.com/vcd.xml

lots of info including:

<quote>
<Permissions>
<Distribution_Permissions>Distributed Freely, No
restrictions</Distribution_Permissions>
<EULA>Use Freely, No Restrictions</EULA>
</Permissions>
</quote>

Despite the above, after clicking on the VCD.exe icon
I had to accept the WhenU SaveNow agreements
and the license says: "The Software is licensed to you
for your personal, non-commercial use only."
I must admit that I don't understand it all.

Besides, what does it mean for those who will start
the VCD disks with the VCD.exe.

Regards,
User

DMAdmin

This is DigiMode VCD author replaying to your message:

The program DigiMode VCD is in freeware status and you can distribute
in any form. The WhenU agreement has nothing to with continuation of
the program use. users MUST accept the WhenU agreement in order to
start DigiMode VCD for the first time. If they later on they remove
WhenU ads mechanism from their system via windows control panel
add/remove, they will notice that WhenU ads will continue to be seen if
they continue to use DigiMode WhenU supported software. The software
itself has no ads of any sort. and there are no agreements to accept.

For commercial and non commercial CD autoruns I recommend distributing
DigiMode Automaya:
http://www.digimode10.com/Automaya.exe
, ideal for CDs containing media of videos, photos or audio. CD users
will see a panel prompting them to select media type, once user click
on media type, the CD will be quickly serched and items found will be
displayed or played accordingly
Another great video software is DigiMode NewVcd, It searches for videos
on drives or directories you specify and items found will be listed in
a video playlist that can be saves as preset. This software includes
the extension dat in the search, so before searching an entire drive
for video make sure the drive does not contain thousands of index.dat
files.
Best to specify directories.

Good Luck

User

Thank you very much for your reply.
The program DigiMode VCD is in freeware status and you can distribute
in any form. The WhenU agreement has nothing to with continuation of
the program use. users MUST accept the WhenU agreement in order to
start DigiMode VCD for the first time.
The VCD.exe could be good for my purposes unless the users of VCDs
also have to accept the WhenU. If they also must accept it then I can't
use it. I can't even be sure that all users have access to the Internet.
The same is with the Automaya. Besides, a user has to select the media
so it's not good for my purposes.

I have to prepare CDs with film/films in VCD format, with any VCD player
and autorun.inf file containing at least 2 lines:
[autorun]
OPEN = ....the name of the player....

I have to assume that a user has very little experience in using computer.
I can't demand that a user has any software on his/her computer to play VCDs.
I only know that the operating system is Win95 or above and that computers
are equipped with sound cards and speakers.

The VCDs will be used at schools but it's difficult to say whether the preparing
and burning CDs is a commercial task (as a whole) or not.

Regards,
User

If they later on they remove

John Fitzsimons

This is DigiMode VCD author replaying to your message:
The program DigiMode VCD is in freeware status and you can distribute
in any form. The WhenU agreement has nothing to with continuation of
the program use. users MUST accept the WhenU agreement in order to
start DigiMode VCD for the first time. If they later on they remove
WhenU ads mechanism from their system via windows control panel
add/remove, they will notice that WhenU ads will continue to be seen if
they continue to use DigiMode WhenU supported software. The software
itself has no ads of any sort. and there are no agreements to accept.

< snip >

So the program isn't freeware ? It is adware. One has to accept
advertising if one uses it ?

BobbytheBrain

3) do you have any other idea how to solve the problem of
playing the films on every computer with Win95 or above?

VCD's are only mpeg-1's with their header slightly modified. Windows
Media Player, Real Player, or ANY other video player should work
without any problems. My guess is that most everybody with 98 and
newer already have WMP installed AND have set CD's to automatically
launch when inserted. For them, you need not do anything. For the
rest, you could choose Media Player Classic, Zoom, VLC, or whatever
else you consider lightweight.