V90, V92, re: modems

G

I am not very computer savvy, so could someone tell me, in simplified terms, what it means to have a 56K V92 modem that has to be backward compatible with an ISP using V90? I've done some web searching, but couldn't find anything I could understand. Thanks so much. cheryl

M

mikey

it just means that even thought V.92 is newer technology, it will still work with older technology v.90.

(e-mail address removed)

I am not very computer savvy, so could someone tell me, in simplified terms, what it means to have a 56K V92 modem that has to be backward compatible with an ISP using V90? I've done some web searching, but couldn't find anything I could understand. Thanks so much. cheryl

R

Rogerio

But not all machines are compatible with a V92 modem. Be sure the store
where you buy the modem will exchange it in case it does not work propertely
(It connect with your ISP but in 2 or 3 minutes disconnect).

Rogerio

S

Steve N.

Never seen that except with crappy PCI winmodems (whuich are not true
modems anyway) and the cause always seems to be an IRQ sharing problem.
As soon as another device sharing the IRQ with the winmodem requests
time from the CPU the winmodem disconnects.

Steve

P

Peter Hutchison

Try here: http://www.v92.com/faqs/

In simpler terms:
1. Quick Connect. 50% faster initial dial up time
2. Better/faster compression using V.44 algorithm
3. Modem on Hold. Allows incoming calls while on internet (req. Call
Waiting service)
4. PCM Upstream. Allows faster uploads of 48kbs max.

Peter Hutchison
Windows FAQ
http://www.pcguru.plus.com/

Ask a Question