Using Volume License key for SYSPREP

oscarmok

We are about to rollout 500 Compaq EVO D510 PCs. The master image was
configure from the pre-install OEM image with our core software (the
usual, Office, Adobe, Winzip etc.) We do license to Microsoft Select.

The problem is when we put down volume license in SYSPREP. When the
image restore, it claims our product key is invalid. I called
Microsoft and they told me that we have to build the image based on VL
media CD not from the OEM pre-install XP. We then called HP (Compaq)
but they told us it's Microsoft issue.

We do find out that if we use the product key from
C:\Windows\System32\oobe\oobe,ini, it went thru. But then, this is
not our company license product key.

Is there a way we can change it so the OEM build accept the VL product
key? (We had tried the kb suggestion by changing the key in registry
and running msoobe.exe /a but still failed)

Please HELP

Shenan T. Stanley

oscarmok said:
We are about to rollout 500 Compaq EVO D510 PCs. The master image was
configure from the pre-install OEM image with our core software (the
usual, Office, Adobe, Winzip etc.) We do license to Microsoft Select.

The problem is when we put down volume license in SYSPREP. When the
image restore, it claims our product key is invalid. I called
Microsoft and they told me that we have to build the image based on VL
media CD not from the OEM pre-install XP. We then called HP (Compaq)
but they told us it's Microsoft issue.

We do find out that if we use the product key from
C:\Windows\System32\oobe\oobe,ini, it went thru. But then, this is
not our company license product key.

Is there a way we can change it so the OEM build accept the VL product
key? (We had tried the kb suggestion by changing the key in registry
and running msoobe.exe /a but still failed)

You need to purchase the Volume License Media, not just the license.

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

oscarmok said:
[...]

You have been correctly advised.
It you are looking to use SYSPREP'd images with your volume licensed key -
this key will only work with Volume Licensed versions of Windows XP. It
will not be valid for use with an OEM version.
You need to rebuild your master image using the Volume License version of
Windows XP.

Product activation keys are media specific - there are at least 3 types:
Retail, OEM and Volume Licensed.
They are not interchangeable.

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

oscarmok

Thank you for the respond. We don't have much choice but to redo our
master image under VL media.

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

oscarmok said:
Thank you for the respond. We don't have much choice but to redo our
master image under VL media.

Unfortunately you are correct.

However one thing to try before you do a new image -
Take a machine with your OEM image on it and then put in the VL Media and do
a repair install - it should ask you for your VL key.
Once this is done - prepare you machine for duplication using SYSPREP etc
and also create the appropriate unattended file to provide the VL KEY during
the install. Then re-image you machine and test.
This MAY work.
I have never tried in it practise but it is the reversal of a technique to
get rid of a pirated VL media machine - by repair installing with a retail
CD.

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
You have been correctly advised.
It you are looking to use SYSPREP'd images with your volume licensed key -
this key will only work with Volume Licensed versions of Windows XP. It
will not be valid for use with an OEM version.
You need to rebuild your master image using the Volume License version of
Windows XP.

Product activation keys are media specific - there are at least 3 types:
Retail, OEM and Volume Licensed.
They are not interchangeable.

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

Diane McCorkle

There's another option we use for our reimaged Dells that keep the OEM OS

We use viewkeyxp to get the factory PID,
then using the OEM Media for a base of sysprep we insert that PID

works, always, since the OEM PID matches the media.

This is provided the OEM and PID are a matched set.

Diane

Diane McCorkle said:
There's another option we use for our reimaged Dells that keep the OEM OS

We use viewkeyxp to get the factory PID,
then using the OEM Media for a base of sysprep we insert that PID

works, always, since the OEM PID matches the media.

This is provided the OEM and PID are a matched set.

Diane,

You may wish to check with Dell about the legitimate usage of THEIR factory
key.
While it may work - it may not be within the boundaries of your licensing,
Check with Dell.

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

oscarmok said:
Thank you for the respond. We don't have much choice but to redo our
master image under VL media.

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
We are about to rollout 500 Compaq EVO D510 PCs. The master image was
configure from the pre-install OEM image with our core software (the
usual, Office, Adobe, Winzip etc.) We do license to Microsoft Select.

The problem is when we put down volume license in SYSPREP. When the
image restore, it claims our product key is invalid. I called
Microsoft and they told me that we have to build the image based
on
VL version
of
on

oscarmok

Mike

I got the VL media CD but how to perform a repair install? And after
the repair install with VL key, do I lost all the applications I
install earlier? I have no problem redo the SYSPREP.

I do anyway but redo the master image again.

oscarmok said:
Mike

I got the VL media CD but how to perform a repair install? And after
the repair install with VL key, do I lost all the applications I
install earlier? I have no problem redo the SYSPREP.

I do anyway

Boot from the CD and it will run through a setup and eventually you will be
given the option to do a Repair.
No it should not loose any applications or data.

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

oscarmok said:
[...]

Al Dykes

There's another option we use for our reimaged Dells that keep the OEM OS

We use viewkeyxp to get the factory PID,
then using the OEM Media for a base of sysprep we insert that PID

works, always, since the OEM PID matches the media.

This is provided the OEM and PID are a matched set.

Diane

Can someone give me an idea of how big we have to be to get VL media ?

We have about 80 PCs with whatever version of (XPpro|w2k) that came
with them. We are putting together a budget to bring is an NT server,
set up a domain and install exchange. I need to price-out the cost of
getting current on XP/pro, office, and Outlook. Do we need to get an
appropriate Open License or is there another program.

Thanks

Al Dykes said:
Can someone give me an idea of how big we have to be to get VL media ?

We have about 80 PCs with whatever version of (XPpro|w2k) that came
with them. We are putting together a budget to bring is an NT server,
set up a domain and install exchange. I need to price-out the cost of
getting current on XP/pro, office, and Outlook. Do we need to get an
appropriate Open License or is there another program.

Thanks

If you want to be a Volume Licensed customer you need to be buying 5 (five)
or more licenses.
for Windows XP see
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/pricingvolume.asp

More information on VL programs