Using self-created front page templates

Over-educated web novice

I created a template in front page. But when I try to create a new page
using the template and add text appropriate to that page, the template
changes to include the text. When I save the page, I give it a separate name
and ask to save it as a web page, not a template.

What am I doing wrong?

Rob Giordano [MS MVP]

Is it a FP .tem file that you created or just a boilerplate .htm that you
are using for a template?
If the later, you need to do a Save As

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rob Giordano

"Over-educated web novice" <Over-educated web
news:[email protected]...

Over-educated web novice

I believe it is a .tem file - in any case, when I went to save it, I selected
template file in the "save as" dialog box.

Upon reflection, I think I may be confusing my terms a bit: I began by
selecting an FP template (nested hierarchy), then putting in files I created
for the banner (which is static), the left-side column (also static), and the
main part of the page, which is supposed to be dynamic. I made the latter
editable, and then saved the whole thing again as a template. However, I'm
still having the same problem.

However, I'm starting to think I should just created separate files for the
main frame, then use the FP template and point to the correct files. Unless
there's an easier way? Your thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Rob Giordano [MS MVP]

got me confused...are you talking about a DWT (dynamic web template)?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rob Giordano

Over-educated web novice

Suspect you're not half as confused as I am! I've done a number of things,
trying to work this out. The last thing I wrote about (using the FP template
and an editable frame within it) did have something to do with DWT - at
least, the editable frame got saved with the DWT extension. I can't say I'm
totally clear on how all this fits together.

However, I did just solve the initial problem - at least, I think I solved
it - by creating a separate editable frame (.dwt) for each page and inserting
the appropriate one into the web page, keeping the banner and left sidebar
static. Since I have just six pages (this is a small site for my sole
proprietorship consulting business), it was pretty easy to do.

But I'm curious as to what you were thinking when you asked me if I was
talking about DWT; care to enlighten me?

Rob Giordano [MS MVP]

A DWT is a template with editable and non-editable regions on it, you create
one (or several) then attach pages to it that you want to use the template
on and in THAT is where you add your content. On a simple website you'd
probably only need one DWT and can attach 10 or 1000 pages to it.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rob Giordano

Tina Clarke

"Over-educated web novice" <Over-educated web
I created a template in front page. But when I try to create a new page
using the template and add text appropriate to that page, the template
changes to include the text. When I save the page, I give it a separate
name
and ask to save it as a web page, not a template.

What am I doing wrong?

Can you give us the link to your site?
What version of FrontPage are you using?
Are you using frames?
How are you creating a new page set out the steps.

Tina

Expression Web Tips Vo ll Ebook with 26 orginal tips
Bonus includes EW Regular Expression Query - Launch price $7
Bundled with Vol l, you can obtain both ebooks for $13
http://any-expression.com/expression-web/ebooks/