using nero for both CDRW and DVD RW?

Reaction score
im strongly thinking of investing in a dvd rw.
but when i want to do is to have both a cdrw and a dvd rw in one machine.

my question is what will Nero rom do? should i unistall nero when i put my dvdrw in? will it allow me to use both the dvd rw and the cd rw aswell? or just one?
why do i want to do this? my cd rw is 52 speed, at the minute i got a dvd r and a cdrw, just want to directly replace the dvdr with a dvdrw. and also there arent many dvdrw's that can write to a cd at 52speed!! :)

what do u lot have? just your dvd rw on its own? i expect a lot of ppl to have dvdrw's nowadays. but most of my mates just got a dvdrw nothing else. but i say humbug to that, its good to have a second device aswell!

DVD RW : Most likely to be Pioneer
CD RW: is Liteon

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
my question is what will Nero rom do
Not much, but it will recognise your DVDRW and give you another assortment of menus to play with. I'm talking about ver 6 though. :thumb:

will it allow me to use both the dvd rw and the cd rw aswell
YES!, But I haven't tried them both at the same time ... I wonder?, naw, one at a time. ;)

My DVDRW & CDRW are both Lite-On. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Shouldn't be a prob if, as Mucks said, you have V6.0 or above.

Nero supplies a drop down menu where you choose which drive you want to use.

At the moment I have a Samsung CDRW/DVD ROM Combo and a Pioneer A106 DVDRW in the same machine and I've used both successfully (this is cos I have a motherboard RMA'd atm so I put the DVDRW in this machine temporarily).

Only one at a time though Mr Mucks :D

Reaction score
thanks guys

yes i have version 6 what a beauty it really is aswell :)

would it make a difference if my dvd rw was on master or slave? same thing rite?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
My combination is an Asus 16x DVD Rom and Lacie DVD Writer. The Rom's are traditionally better at DAE (Digital Audio Extraction) in the sense that they do not cache data. The drives which have data caching capability are second best as far as Exact Audio Copy manual is concerned. Besides some of the writers are not very good readers but Roms are always excellent readers. For installation also Rom do better than writers. All this is based on my own experience and not something read on the web, so people with different drives may have different experiences.

I also have the Plextor CD Writer which is far superior to the newer DVD Writer when it comes to audio burning. The speed does not matter when copying or writing audio disks as anything higher than 8x will pose problems on stand alone hifi players anyway. I never write audio any higher than 4x. Plextor CD writer that I have is 10x12x32x which is dating back to 2000 when I bought it and it is still the primary writer for me when it comes to audio. I bought the DVD writer only because it can write DVD's not because it is faster on audio.

Nero 6 is very good and fast for both DVD's and CD's and it offers a very neat interface. You must download the latest version from their website so that you have no conflicts of any kind. If you buy a writer it will be bundled with Nero but not the very latest version.

I thought I should post my views for your information.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Interesting stuff there Quad. I also never burn audio at higher than 4 x, including mp3's. In fact, mostly I use 2 x.

I've actually found that some writers I've had read disks better than ROM's. I think it does depend on the make/factory manufacturing run of a particular drive.

I've been unlucky with DVD ROM drives though I think, I've had about four die on me during the last few years, 2 Liteons, a Hitachi and I can't remember what the other one was.

Also had one Liteon CDRW (32 x ) die on me, although I still have 2 Liteon CDRW's working fine about three years after purchase.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Interesting stuff there Quad. I also never burn audio at higher than 4 x, including mp3's. In fact, mostly I use 2 x.

2 speed on a mp3 cd??? seriously thats so slow!!!!!!!!!! i use 52X.
im presuming u mean a cdr not a dvd rw of course!

if its a dv-r u mean that i guess its alrite :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
psd99: Yes, it is slow. And yes, I use 2 x for mp3's. A little fussy perhaps, but as I mostly burn stuff on my second machine it doesn't inconvenience me so I don't really mind how long it takes.

And it really doesn't take that long anyway. Now, rendering two hours worth of captured video/audio, that takes a long time. Again, another reason why I decided on a second 'serious' machine, to take care of those long tasks while I'm doing some serious fragging online with UT2004 & CoD :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Flops,

I have always used Asus Roms as they have always turned out to be the best in terms of audio as well as durability. We have six in the office and none of them have given us any problems whatsoever. DVD Roms are very cheap nowadays and if you can find one at a good price give it a try, you wont be disappointed. I have come to rely on Asus more than on any other Rom.

We are both basically audio nuts and we have our own reasons for the way we use pc for audio. Many do not get it but, I guess to each his own. One thing I know for sure we both enjoy what we do! Am I incorrect in my assumption? I hope not.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Quad: You are not incorrect in your assumption ;)

I do actually have one Asus DVD ROM drive, currently lying idle in the machine with the rma'd motherboard.

Yes, it's been good. In fact, it's managed to read some disks that other drives have had trouble with.

And, even though an OEM unit, it came bundled with software, Cyberlink Power DVD player, I think.

Reaction score
its all about Pioneer, I have a pioneer dvd rom. ive had it for 3 years almost

brilliant device never caused any problems! and this is why I am going fora Pioneer DVD RW.

Ask a Question