Using my laptop in the USA?

Reaction score
I need some advice on using my laptop in the USA (It's a Dell Inspiron 2200). I'm going to visit my brother in the US, who told me not to bring any electrical equipment because it won't work because they operate on a lower voltage than us...
I've bought an adaptor plug for the US which says is for use "only with electrical appliances operating on 110-250V (max 6 Amps). It also says that it is for use "with non-earthed" appliances only.

Does this make sense to anyone who can advise me?!!! THANK YOU!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The adapter will be fine, as long as you bought it for your Dell.

Check the Dell's own PS and see what the Amp rating is.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The Adapter plug doens't convert any voltages, but as you have a laptop power supply it may be able to accept a wider range of voltages than say a hairdryer! As Mucks says, check the PSU and see it it takes 110V.

Reaction score
The adapter isn't specifically for Dell, it's a samsonite travel adapter for the US.

Sorry to be ignorant of computer stuff, but what does PSU stand for?

Reaction score
I've found the specifications for the Dell Inspiron 2200:

Input Current (max): 1.5A
Input Voltage: 100-240 VAC
Input Frequency: 47-63 Hz
Output current: 3.16A

I'm TOTALLY lost!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry, PSU is the Power Supply Unit.

If those last specifications are from the little black power supply unit that connects from the mains to your laptop, then it will work with the adaptor. Basically, the adaptor just changes the pins to fit in a US socket - however your appliance must be 110V compatible (which it appears to be).

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
The power adaptor for most laptops states 100-240 and 50/60 Hz, if this is what your Dell power adaptor states you can use the laptop virtually anywhere in the world. Laptops are meant for travel and most that I have seen can manage it. Your Samsonite adaptor may not be necessary.

Could you please check the Dell Adaptor and let us know what it states?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Just noticed your messages, you can rest assured your Dell adaptor is perfectly usable in states and as ian says the Samsonite is just for pin conversion and that too if needed.

Reaction score
Many thanks to you all for taking the time to reply.
I am delighted that I can take the new laptop with me now.
If only it were the same case for my hair straighteners ha ha! Thanks again.

Ask a Question