username and password not saved

D Van Deusen

Starting today when I open Windows Mail it asks for my username and
password. I am the only user of this computer, and there is no need for this
for my use. The "Remember credentials" box is checked. Nevertheless when I
close the program and try to reopen it asks for them again. I also have
"remember password" checked in Tools>Accounts> Properties, etc. Why did this
problem start when I made absolutely no changes, and how do I make it go
away? If this is a result from security updates, why doesn't microsoft warn
the user what the side effects are of its "security" updates?

Gary VanderMolen

When you get that repeated prompt for username and password, click Cancel,
which should then produce an error message. Right-click on your error message,
copy, then paste it into a reply here. We can't do much troubleshooting without
the complete error message.

First, test your password by logging in to your provider's webmail.
If that works, it proves you have the correct username and password.
A likely reason for the username/password failing in Windows Mail is
account corruption. One thing you should try as a possible quick fix is
to delete that corrupted mail account, restart Windows Mail, then
recreate that account.

If that doesn't fix it, more drastic measures will have to be taken.
Which antivirus are you running?
As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

For more on why email scanning in your antivirus is bad, see
:http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"D Van Deusen" wrote in message
Starting today when I open Windows Mail it asks for my username and
password. I am the only user of this computer, and there is no need for this
for my use. The "Remember credentials" box is checked. Nevertheless when I
close the program and try to reopen it asks for them again. I also have
"remember password" checked in Tools>Accounts> Properties, etc. Why did this
problem start when I made absolutely no changes, and how do I make it go
away? If this is a result from security updates, why doesn't microsoft warn
the user what the side effects are of its "security" updates?

jaohare

D Van Deusen said:
Starting today when I open Windows Mail it asks for my username and
password. I am the only user of this computer, and there is no need for this
for my use. The "Remember credentials" box is checked. Nevertheless when I
close the program and try to reopen it asks for them again. I also have
"remember password" checked in Tools>Accounts> Properties, etc. Why did this
problem start when I made absolutely no changes, and how do I make it go
away? If this is a result from security updates, why doesn't microsoft warn
the user what the side effects are of its "security" updates?

.
Account: 'pop.gmail.com', Server: 'pop.gmail.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted.', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92