User Profiles Not Being Created

G

I installed Windows 2000 Advanced Server and went through the process of installing Active Directory so that I could enable roaming user profiles. I created a directory on the slave hard drive that is shared with the entire network. I then created a subdirectory called 'user1' in that directory. I went to the Users and created a user called 'user1'. I then went to a WinXP client machine and logged on as 'user1'. After the logon process finished I then logged off and went back to the server to see if the profile was stored. It wasn't. The 'user1' directory is empty.

For the profile path, I set it up as \\Server\Profiles\user1

The name of the server is, indeed, "Server". The whole purpose of this activity is so that I can back up people's profiles using the tape backup installed on the server. All the clients are running Windows XP.

What am I doing wrong?

S

Steven

Don't create the User1 folder. In the profile path, enter
\\Server\Profiles\%username% and let it create folder for
you. Because you created the folder User1, it doesnt have
proper permissions set for User1 to access it.

Steven
-----Original Message-----
I installed Windows 2000 Advanced Server and went through
the process of installing Active Directory so that I could
enable roaming user profiles. I created a directory on
the slave hard drive that is shared with the entire
network. I then created a subdirectory called 'user1' in
that directory. I went to the Users and created a user
called 'user1'. I then went to a WinXP client machine and
logged on as 'user1'. After the logon process finished I
then logged off and went back to the server to see if the
profile was stored. It wasn't. The 'user1' directory is
empty.
For the profile path, I set it up as \\Server\Profiles\user1

The name of the server is, indeed, "Server". The whole
purpose of this activity is so that I can back up people's
profiles using the tape backup installed on the server.
All the clients are running Windows XP.

G

OK, I've done that. What's interesting is that the folder won't even let administrators get into it. On the server it shows that 'user1' had no permissions assigned to it at all, but from the client machine I can get into the folder just fine.

So that's done, but the folder is still empty. I've logged on and off the client machine several times, including a power-off shutdown. I just typed 'gpupdate' at the command prompt to see if that will change anything.

But the folder is still empty. :(

Matt

G

OK, I used another computer to log on as 'user1' and the profile was updated on the server. The problem is, now, that the first client computer is for some reason not using the profile stored on the server. The user's profile on client #1 is shown to be 'roaming/roaming'. Anyone have any idea what I need to update or change on the client computer to fix this? That computer *has* joined the domain so that isn't the problem, and I *can* navigate via the network to the share on the server where the profile is kept. The permissions show to have read/write/execute etc. access to that folder for 'user1'.

I'm quite confused at the moment.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Matt

Ask a Question