User account appear from nowhere???

G

Where in the heck are all these user accounts coming from? I am fairly knowledgeable on this darn puter but this one has me stumped. My husband and I recently crashed our computer and reset to factory settings. Immediately though it had 3 user accounts, our personal account, Owner account, and All Users. This is found in Documents and Settings in Local Drive. I deleted the Owner account immediately and that didn't seem to cause any problems. Now today I notice that there is one called Default User. Any ideas why these accounts are being created?

I first noticed this months ago when trying to find out where some of my documents and music were going. They were going into other user accounts. This is what made me even look into this after crashing it in the first place.

D

dev

/mjdcld/ said:
Where in the heck are all these user accounts coming from? I am fairly knowledgeable on this darn puter but this one has me stumped. My husband and I recently crashed our computer and reset to factory settings. Immediately though it had 3 user accounts, our personal account, Owner account, and All Users. This is found in Documents and Settings in Local Drive. I deleted the Owner account immediately and that didn't seem to cause any problems. Now today I notice that there is one called Default User. Any ideas why these accounts are being created?

I first noticed this months ago when trying to find out where some of my documents and music were going. They were going into other user accounts. This is what made me even look into this after crashing it in the first place.

What you describe sounds like normal XP operation, and can be safely ignorned.

C

Chuck

Default Users contains the settings which are used whenever you setup a new user
account. You cannot login as Default User - it is not a valid account, just
settings for any new user. You should not delete Default Users from Documents
and Settings - just leave it there.

All Users is also not an account. All Users contains settings which apply to
all accounts on the computer - generally shortcuts to applications. You should
not delete All Users from Documents and Settings either.

Does your personal account have administrative access to your computer? If so,
then deleting the Owner account was probably a good idea. If not, you may want
to find out how to setup an administrative account. The Owner account may have
been the default administrative account. You need administrative access to
install some software, and do high level system tasks.

Cheers,
Chuck
Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

Ask a Question