useful new newsgroups feature

Beck

This is not a help topic but a congrats to MS for adding a tiny thing to
make newsgroups usage better.
Yesterday I rebuilt my laptop OS with XP and Vista and when I subscribed to
my usual newsgroups and re-downloaded messages it automatically marked my
threads as watched (those that were within the 300 header initial download).
This is an extremely useful addition as when rebuilding an OS I often have a
number of threads which I wish to retain and sometimes they can be hard to
find.

Donald McDaniel

Beck said:
This is not a help topic but a congrats to MS for adding a tiny thing to
make newsgroups usage better.
Yesterday I rebuilt my laptop OS with XP and Vista and when I subscribed
to my usual newsgroups and re-downloaded messages it automatically marked
my threads as watched (those that were within the 300 header initial
download).
This is an extremely useful addition as when rebuilding an OS I often have
a number of threads which I wish to retain and sometimes they can be hard
to find.

Actually, the "300 header initial download' can be ALL the headers on the
Newsgroups, if wanted. Just adjust the number of headers downloaded (ALL
the time, not just the "initial" download) each time.

I have mine set to 1000, which will just about get all of 1-3 days' posts.

Beck

Donald McDaniel said:
Actually, the "300 header initial download' can be ALL the headers on the
Newsgroups, if wanted. Just adjust the number of headers downloaded (ALL
the time, not just the "initial" download) each time.

I have mine set to 1000, which will just about get all of 1-3 days' posts.

Yep, I just leave it at the default though :)