used System Restore on laptop but now "ZILCH!!!"

Hi Everyone, Can anyone help with this query - through me - for my niece.
She runs a laptop with, originally M'Soft millenium edition but Windows XP
upgrade about three years ago. All had been going really well and no
problems; getting regular updates from M'soft etc.... until she did a System
Restore two days ago and now gets the following messages... If anyone has any
suggestions I'd be really grateful on her behalf. Thought I'd try Microsoft
Newsgroups first before anyone else.... So, and these are her words exactly

"Did the System Restore but now getting...
*gen_deskbar_short_name* is unable to load its config file.
If you have recently upgraded to a newer version of the *gen_suite_name* and
not restarted your system since (the only action from this 'box' is allegedly
to log-off) the upgrade, please try restarting your system (it apparently
won't let my niece do this)...
If the problem persists, please re-install the *gen_suite_name*

ZILCH! That's it. Apparently she can't get it to do anything. No
restating/logging off... nothing!

Anyone out there able to help her. She'd obviously have asked you herself
if she could have accessed the Internet but unfortunately she cannot!

Please help. Thank you in anticipation,
PAMALOON

Bert Kinney

Hi,

Ask your niece to undo the restore. She may need to do this via Safe
Mode or the Command Prompt.
You will find fill instruction here.
All About System Restore in WinXP
http://bertk.mvps.org/

If the system starts after this, ask her what the reason was for
performing the restore in the first place.
And how far back she went with the restore.