Use Simple File Sharing preventing ADMIN$

A

AdrianDev

Hi,

It appears that by default, XP profesional folder settings have "Use Simple File Sharing" enabled. But this is preventing $ADMIN shares from working from other computers.

I can see this by using "xcmd" to run \ "systeminfo" command remotely on an XP workstation in a workgroups. This is failing because the command cannot access the ADMIN$ share on the remote XP workstation.

I can fix the problem by locally uncheking it, but my question is, if I have no local access to the workstation, how can I get ADMIN$ shares to work ? Is there a workaround?

All views gratefully recieved,

thanks, Adrian

G

I would rephrase the question as, "Do you really need the Admin Shares?" -
They are a massive security risk, especially on systems where users are
Administrators of their own computers. I've seen at least one case where
computers went down by 'domino effect' when the whole of the C: drive was
shared without restriction.

S

Steven L Umbach

When simple file sharing is enabled you only have guest access to the computer via file sharing. If you have Remote Desktop access to the computer you could logon that way as an administrator and make any needed changes. Otherwise physical access to the computer will be needed.

Steve

Hi,

It appears that by default, XP profesional folder settings have "Use Simple File Sharing" enabled. But this is preventing $ADMIN shares from working from other computers.

I can see this by using "xcmd" to run \ "systeminfo" command remotely on an XP workstation in a workgroups. This is failing because the command cannot access the ADMIN$ share on the remote XP workstation.

I can fix the problem by locally uncheking it, but my question is, if I have no local access to the workstation, how can I get ADMIN$ shares to work ? Is there a workaround?

All views gratefully recieved,

thanks, Adrian

Ask a Question