Use Gmail space as your storage drive!

Jari Lehtonen

GMail Drive 1.0.6

Publisher's Description:

GMail Drive creates a virtual filesystem on top of your Google GMail
account and enables you to save and retrieve files stored on your
GMail account directly from inside Windows Explorer. GMail Drive
literally adds a new drive to your computer under the My Computer
folder, where you can create new folders, copy and drag'n'drop files
to.

http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

Jari

Mel

GMail Drive 1.0.6

Publisher's Description:

GMail Drive creates a virtual filesystem on top of your Google GMail
account and enables you to save and retrieve files stored on your
GMail account directly from inside Windows Explorer. GMail Drive
literally adds a new drive to your computer under the My Computer
folder, where you can create new folders, copy and drag'n'drop files
to.

http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

Jari
27 July update: A change in an url redirection of the Gmail service
caused problems with login. Version 1.0.6 will resolve the problem.
Please uninstall (from the Windows Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs),
then reboot and install the new version.

Vrodok the Troll

GMail Drive 1.0.6

Publisher's Description:

GMail Drive creates a virtual filesystem on top of your Google GMail
account and enables you to save and retrieve files stored on your
GMail account directly from inside Windows Explorer. GMail Drive
literally adds a new drive to your computer under the My Computer
folder, where you can create new folders, copy and drag'n'drop files
to.

http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

Jari

Yes, but (apparently) zip files are not permitted :-(

Susan Bugher

Vrodok said:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 20:57:27 +0300, in alt.comp.freeware, Jari Lehtonen
<[email protected]>, by way of Message-id
Yes, but (apparently) zip files are not permitted :-(

Some are - it's what's inside the zip that counts. . .

http://gmail.google.com/support/

http://gmail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6590&topic=40

</q>
Can I send or receive an executable file?

As a security measure to prevent potential viruses, Gmail does not allow users to receive executable
files (such as files ending in .exe) that could contain damaging executable code.

Gmail does not accept these types of files, even if they are sent in a zipped (.zip, .tar, .tgz,
..taz, .z, .gz) format. Any message of this type sent to your Gmail account will be bounced back to
the sender.

</q>

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://www.google.com.gr/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

 Ol' Man

Susan Bugher said:
Some are - it's what's inside the zip that counts. . .

http://gmail.google.com/support/

http://gmail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6590&topic=40

</q>
Can I send or receive an executable file?

As a security measure to prevent potential viruses, Gmail does not allow users to receive executable
files (such as files ending in .exe) that could contain damaging executable code.

Gmail does not accept these types of files, even if they are sent in a zipped (.zip, .tar, .tgz,
.taz, .z, .gz) format. Any message of this type sent to your Gmail account will be bounced back to
the sender.

</q>

Susan
--
Not being the shiniest penny in the roll, I ask this... what would be wrong with changing the file extension to something acceptable then changing it back when it's d/l'd again? After all, only the name has changed to protect the innocent... and please don't call me ignert...:)
Ol' Man

Whip.Pan

O'l Man: Yes, exactly! I dunno if the system does a file scan to see if
it's really one of the banned types or not, which is possible despite
name change. Also, weird, but RAR wasn't listed as a banned filetype.
Wonder why?
According to gmail site, banned filetypes appear to be limited (?) to:
zip, .tar, .tgz, .taz, .z, .gz

So, RAR, LZH, etc., etc?

Susan Bugher

Not being the shiniest penny in the roll, I ask this... what would be wrong with changing the file extension to something acceptable then changing it back when it's d/l'd again? After all, only the name has changed to protect the innocent... and please don't call me ignert...:)
Ol' Man

I've been wondering if that would work too - so I just experimented a bit.

I grabbed the first small .exe I saw. . .

1) I renamed it with a .txt extension - sent a message to my Gmail account - the email arrived but
not the file attachment

2) I renamed the same file with a .001 extension and sent a new message - success!

3) I downloaded the ".001" file and it's the exact same size as the ".001" file I attached to the
email - so presumably it wasn't changed in any way by Gmail. . .

so now we know. . . :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://www.google.com.gr/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

Clif Notes

Well, it shouldn't have worked, but here's what I just did.

1. Opened my Gmail Drive (logged in)
2. Uploaded a little old DOS utility called show.exe
3. The file arrived in my Gmail Drive
4. Tried getting it back (no luck)
5. Refreshed the Gmail Drive (show.exe is still there)
6. Deleted it (apparent success)

Now what is a person supposed to think?

Clif
http://clifnotes.net
Devoted to promoting Freeware and Free Information

Paul B.

Jari said:
GMail Drive 1.0.6

Publisher's Description:

GMail Drive creates a virtual filesystem on top of your Google
GMail account and enables you to save and retrieve files
stored on your GMail account directly from inside Windows
Explorer. GMail Drive literally adds a new drive to your
computer under the My Computer folder, where you can create
new folders, copy and drag'n'drop files to.

http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

Jari

Very clever. Now if one could use a yEnc-capable mailer (I
believe Agent is, via deep settings), one could avoid the 33%
markup in size due to 7 bit encoding - unless Gmail has a
problem with that too.

p.

Susan Bugher

Clif said:
Well, it shouldn't have worked, but here's what I just did.

1. Opened my Gmail Drive (logged in)
2. Uploaded a little old DOS utility called show.exe
3. The file arrived in my Gmail Drive
4. Tried getting it back (no luck)
5. Refreshed the Gmail Drive (show.exe is still there)
6. Deleted it (apparent success)

Now what is a person supposed to think?

Hi Clif,

I said "I renamed it with a .txt extension - sent a message to my Gmail account - the email arrived
but not the file attachment" More accurately, the email had a paperclip but showed a three letter
code in the space where attachments are shown.

ISTM the attachment might be there but blocked or the attachment might have been stripped from the
email and another attachment added. Qien sabe? In any event I suspect the drive app is ignoring or
misinterpreting info that Gmail added to the message.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://www.google.com.gr/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

mike.j.harvey

Gmail does not do a scan. Changing the extension is sufficient. Eg
changing the .rar extension to .gm-rar. I was experimenting sending
attachments, and found Gmail will not accept archives (.rar, .zip,
..ace), executables, (.exe, .com, .bat). I expect there are others.

K3

Gmail does not do a scan. Changing the extension is sufficient. Eg
changing the .rar extension to .gm-rar. I was experimenting sending
attachments, and found Gmail will not accept archives (.rar, .zip,
.ace), executables, (.exe, .com, .bat). I expect there are others.

Hmmm... I'm not having any problems with .ZIP files. I'm able to open the
Gmail Drive and copy a .ZIP file *to* and *from* that drive.

--
Kendall F. Stratton III
Fort Fairfield, Maine USA

"Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!"

Troppo

(e-mail address removed) wrote in @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
Gmail does not do a scan. Changing the extension is sufficient. Eg
changing the .rar extension to .gm-rar. I was experimenting sending
attachments, and found Gmail will not accept archives (.rar, .zip,
.ace), executables, (.exe, .com, .bat). I expect there are others.

My method is remove the extension dot and add 'dot doc' eg
gmailfs106zip.doc
On the assumption that GMail would have no problem with doc files.
Convert back at the other end. Works ok.

mike.j.harvey

We seem (or maybe it's me) to be getting confused between

(a) sending emails (with file attachments) to a Gmail account using
SMTP.

In this case there are forbidden file extensions, archives and
executables mainly. Then you would only have to alter the extension to
overcome this.

(b) copying files to a "Gmail drive" in Windows Explorer..

Gmail Drive must process the files in some way, so that the extension
doesn't matter, because a zip or exe file works just fine for me.

Vrodok the Troll

We seem (or maybe it's me) to be getting confused between

(a) sending emails (with file attachments) to a Gmail account using
SMTP.

In this case there are forbidden file extensions, archives and
executables mainly. Then you would only have to alter the extension to
overcome this.

(b) copying files to a "Gmail drive" in Windows Explorer..

Gmail Drive must process the files in some way, so that the extension
doesn't matter, because a zip or exe file works just fine for me.

Now if only I could change the icon of the the on-Desktop Shortcut (to "GMail
Drive"). WOuld make things so much easier to find on my Desktop.

Alan

We seem (or maybe it's me) to be getting confused between

(a) sending emails (with file attachments) to a Gmail account using
SMTP.

In this case there are forbidden file extensions, archives and
executables mainly. Then you would only have to alter the extension to
overcome this.

(b) copying files to a "Gmail drive" in Windows Explorer..

Gmail Drive must process the files in some way, so that the extension
doesn't matter, because a zip or exe file works just fine for me.
My observations as to how it works:

When you drag and drop a file to the Gmail drive an email is
created that sends the file as an attachment to an e-mail
sent from yourself to yourself ([email protected] to
(e-mail address removed)). The subject of the email is GMAILFS:
/the filename. The latest release of the Gmail Drive
software changes the file extension. E.g., if you drag an
..exe file to your gmail drive, the attachment sent to your
Gmail account becomes .exe_renamed. I assume that is why
Gmail accepts it. It would not accept a .exe file.