USB Powered Hub won't be recognized

Reaction score
For some reason my 4 USB powered hub ports quit working on my Dell 1905FP monitor. I have tried everything including plugging in the flow-thru cable into my other PC (where it is recognized "new hardware" and operates). When I plug in the flow-through USB cable on the inop PC it gives me the message "Unknown Device". But in the error screen when I click on driver details it says "No drivers are required or loaded for this device". I click it and try to upate drivers and when I get to Windows/System 32/Drivers folder, the "OK" button goes dim. This does not happen on the other PC and which is where I found the drivers should be used (folder and name). I look in the inop PC win explorer and the 2 drivers are in that folder. Both PCs are using Win XP Home SP 2 with all updates. Hardware is different, but it seems like the problem lies in the USB driver initialization. The Six USB ports on the inop PC work fine for everything except the powered hub on the Dell monitor. This used to work, but some other configuration change must have made this happen. I have a webcam on top of the monitor that has a very short USB cord so I really need the Dell monitor port to work.

Reaction score
It lists the device as "Unknown Device" - clicking on it and going to driver tab states there is no driver installed. When I look over on the good PC it was using USBHUB.sys. So when I go to install driver, and I drill down to Windows\System 32\Drivers the "OK" button goes dim. I do not know how to get any further. I can see in Win Expl the usbhub.sys file but when the driver update wizard comes up it will not let me install. Thinking maybe Dell Monitor hub needs a special driver, I went to the CD-ROM. When I get to the only thing that looks it might be related to installing a driver is - 1905FP.inf, 1905FP.icm, and 1905fp.cat on the CD (no instructions, no-thanks to Dell) it tells me there is no information about my PC in these files. ??? The entire rest of the CD-ROM is just user manual in every language on the globe. I also went to Dell Support site and downloaded what should have been a driver but it will not install either (cannot find that one now a week later).

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Win XP has the drivers, nothing special for USB ports is needed ... My conclusion is your motherboard USB is faulty/dead/dying/gone on holiday

Do any USB devices work on the PC itself?

:)

Reaction score
You will not believe this one!

I took a "Newpoint USB powered Hub" from my other PC and plugged into the troublesome PC. The PC recognized it. I then took the Dell monitor powered hub connector and plugged it into the Newpoint powered hub (still connected to troublesome PC), and it recognized it. I then plugged the webcam into the Dell monitor (still routed through the Newpoint) and all is fine.

Then I disconnect the Newpoint and plug the Dell monitor directly into the troublesome PC - walla! "USB Device Not Recognized" balloon in lower right, and then going to device manager there is the "unknown device". I am about to give up!!!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You will not believe this one!
I do, seen it happen all the time, amazing how an external powered hub can 'fix' things ... Welcome to the "World of USB" ... :D

Let me try and explain ... err, on second thoughts, maybe not. ;)

... at least it ain't really broken. :thumb:

Ask a Question