usb not detected/ system crash/system freeze

T

tom

hi

USB NOT DETECTED.

1] i installed a HUAWEI SMARTAX MT841 modem, a month ago,[ identified by windows under Network Adapters] for a broadband connection.
I was running windows XP [without any service pack] and for one month the modem run quite fine. HUAWEI gives a CD , which also got installed properly.In month of June till second last week of July the net worked quite fine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2] There was a problem however. The modem needed to be started right before the PC was switched on. The modem takes some seconds to boot , my friend said. But in case if i ever switched on the modem in the middle either while windows was loading OR after windows has loaded, MY SYSTEM USED TO GET FREEZED. I had to then reboot and then restart the process again. Thus quite a nuisance to always keep the modem on or wait for the modem to boot before booting into windows

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYSTEM CRASH

3] Now last week before my system crashed . I week ago i had installed a defragment program[Auslogics disk defrag] and also had got my disks defraged through the same. The system run fine for 2-3 days and later a crash happened. Exactly one day before the crash i had in the middle of the windows session, inserted a PEN drive on my USB PORT and the system got freezed. At that time the modem was off.My system had a good antivirus and also upto date. In last 6yrs i have been using my PC, never ever had a virus problem till date.
My system became very unstable, it would crash often. CHKDSK run frequently each time the system crashed as there is some inconsistency in one of your drives and it would delete a lot of index entries.Then it would not boot into windows. Fed up of the same, once when it loaded into windows i ran the Windows setup for a fresh install. I installed XP service pack 2 also.
Thereafter also the system behaved the same. When i used to go on the net, it would reboot in a flash in between.
Then the problems happened of disk not located etc. I tried all R&D of changing cables,etc etc.....Nothing worked.It gave me message of MBR not found etc.Once or twice i selected the REPAIR OPTION , yet each time i reboot windows gave me the message of boot not found. Once the desktop loaded and later upon the next boot the same repeated. Even i used bart cd to see whether the drives can be detected, but that also did not work. Then when i decided to run Windows setup again this time it did not detect the hard disk partitions at all. I have a 80gb hdd. It showed me some 73gb for partition.....Aghast that i would loose my data, i contacted some of the technical guys and they too were clueless. Even i used bart cd to see whether the drives can be detected, but that also did not work.
Then almost everybody suggested a fresh format.

4] Luckily a talk of my friend who had suggested a command available in the windows 98 named fdisk/mbr was revolving on my mind. But since the same was also not available in a boot cd format, i was finally left with no option but to format.
So i for a last time input the windows xp sp2[slipstreamed cd] . Then i luckily selected the Repair option. Windows gave me the option of the drive to repair and it showed C:........My windows was installed on the E: . A sudden though came to me that when in a normal boot it doesnt detect my hdd at all, how come in a repair option it shows C:. I was in the C: now and typed HELP. It showed lots of commands. I just tried the other partitions whether they are accessible , but they couldn't. Only it went to D: that being the CD rom.

5] I was on the D: . I tried to switch to the C: but it was not happening. Thus i was stuck on the D: .Again i typed help. In the help commands 2 commands caught my attention namely FIXBOOT & FIXMBR.
The first one i tried and it didnt show any. Then the second i read. I interpreted it as it would lay a fresh MBR. The help reads some warnings as "dont try this command unless your drive is not accessible at all ," something like that.
I thought that laying a fresh MBR would also see that i would loose the data. [ I am not a tech guy and no knowledge of all these ]. Yet i decided to go ahead , as anyways i was going to loose the data . I typed the FIXMBR COMMAND. It gave a message of MBR successfully written something.

6] Then i rebooted the PC. My system used to show me 2 options while booting. Since my C: was a FAT32 partition and the Balance of the drives was a NTFS. It used to show me the two options
E:windows\xp professional
E:windows .........[ something like this , dont recall properly]
This time however it showed me 2 more options , one i think was a fresh setup made and the other was a unfinished setup. Going on my hunch, i choose the old one windows xp professional, the one above the e:/windows.

It booted into windows and CHKDSK run saying there is some inconsistency in one of your drives and need to be cheked.
It then rebooted.
Again i selected the same old windows Xp professional to boot into.
This time it loaded properly and the desktop was seen. The loading was of the setup which was successful after the crash begun. Setup of XP WITH SP2. Before the crash i was on just XP without any SERVICE PACK.
I rebooted to rechek again and it was successful agian. Even booted using BART cd and it could also locate all my drives. Did all these R&D,

7]Without wasting any time i loaded the windows xp sp2 [slip streamed cd] and went for a setup. I got the E: where my windows was loaded CLEAN formatted and successfully installed windows.
I also got the other partitions CLEAN formatted one by one.

8] Now the main Qs is 'WHO IS THE CULPRIT ".......Quite easily everbody pointed at the EXTERNAL DEFRAG PROGRAM. One however suggested that since the USB drive on which the modem is run freezes the system, it can also cause the harddisk to behave erroneously. Especially as mentioned above, even the day before the crash happened inserting a pendrive in one the usb ports also caused the system freeze.

POST SYSTEM CRASH

9] Also in XP SP2 , i loaded the HUAWEI CD and it shows me some RUNDLL Error and it cannot complete the setup. It however installs something it seems, because in the Device manage, a unidentified device error is seen. I then went to the DEVICE MANAGERand in that made the drivers uninstall and then SCAN FOR HARDWARE changes and in that if i choose the first option of automatic search, Windows just keeps on searching. I have to choose the second option and show the path and it completes the taks thus. Thereafter i am able to use the modem.

10] But a new problem i found is when i am on the net, suddenly the modem freezes and also the desktop. If i right clik nothing happens. As soon as i switch off the modem, the system becomes alive.

The two drivers of the modem as seen in driver details is
usb8023.sys [ microsoft signed]
gsindi32.dll [ not signed]

Of this i had read on the web on the MS site of the first driver causing some problems, and a hotfix for the same. But i did not find any link for the same.

One of my friend said that the USB should be detected in the middle of the system also , and on his place no such problems.

11. Yesterday i run the DRIVERSHQ website program and it suggested the USB driver is available new and i run the same also, yet the problem remains the same.
I dont have the original motherboard CD also.

Pls suggest what has to be done now.

regards
tom

T

thecreator

Hi tom,

Replace the Modem. Get a Modem that connects to your computer via an Ethernet Cable. And leave the Modem on all the time, except maybe during a Thunderstorm. This time, don't lose the CDs!

And use the Windows XP CD, to reformat and reinstall the operating system then install the new Cable Modem before you download and reapply all the Hotfixes again.

--
thecreator

hi

USB NOT DETECTED.

1] i installed a HUAWEI SMARTAX MT841 modem, a month ago,[ identified by windows under Network Adapters] for a broadband connection.
I was running windows XP [without any service pack] and for one month the modem run quite fine. HUAWEI gives a CD , which also got installed properly.In month of June till second last week of July the net worked quite fine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2] There was a problem however. The modem needed to be started right before the PC was switched on. The modem takes some seconds to boot , my friend said. But in case if i ever switched on the modem in the middle either while windows was loading OR after windows has loaded, MY SYSTEM USED TO GET FREEZED. I had to then reboot and then restart the process again. Thus quite a nuisance to always keep the modem on or wait for the modem to boot before booting into windows

SYSTEM CRASH

3] Now last week before my system crashed . I week ago i had installed a defragment program[Auslogics disk defrag] and also had got my disks defraged through the same. The system run fine for 2-3 days and later a crash happened. Exactly one day before the crash i had in the middle of the windows session, inserted a PEN drive on my USB PORT and the system got freezed. At that time the modem was off.My system had a good antivirus and also upto date. In last 6yrs i have been using my PC, never ever had a virus problem till date.
My system became very unstable, it would crash often. CHKDSK run frequently each time the system crashed as there is some inconsistency in one of your drives and it would delete a lot of index entries.Then it would not boot into windows. Fed up of the same, once when it loaded into windows i ran the Windows setup for a fresh install. I installed XP service pack 2 also.
Thereafter also the system behaved the same. When i used to go on the net, it would reboot in a flash in between.
Then the problems happened of disk not located etc. I tried all R&D of changing cables,etc etc.....Nothing worked.It gave me message of MBR not found etc.Once or twice i selected the REPAIR OPTION , yet each time i reboot windows gave me the message of boot not found. Once the desktop loaded and later upon the next boot the same repeated. Even i used bart cd to see whether the drives can be detected, but that also did not work. Then when i decided to run Windows setup again this time it did not detect the hard disk partitions at all. I have a 80gb hdd. It showed me some 73gb for partition.....Aghast that i would loose my data, i contacted some of the technical guys and they too were clueless. Even i used bart cd to see whether the drives can be detected, but that also did not work.

4] Luckily a talk of my friend who had suggested a command available in the windows 98 named fdisk/mbr was revolving on my mind. But since the same was also not available in a boot cd format, i was finally left with no option but to format.
So i for a last time input the windows xp sp2[slipstreamed cd] . Then i luckily selected the Repair option. Windows gave me the option of the drive to repair and it showed C:........My windows was installed on the E: . A sudden though came to me that when in a normal boot it doesnt detect my hdd at all, how come in a repair option it shows C:. I was in the C: now and typed HELP. It showed lots of commands. I just tried the other partitions whether they are accessible , but they couldn't. Only it went to D: that being the CD rom.

5] I was on the D: . I tried to switch to the C: but it was not happening. Thus i was stuck on the D: .Again i typed help. In the help commands 2 commands caught my attention namely FIXBOOT & FIXMBR.
The first one i tried and it didnt show any. Then the second i read. I interpreted it as it would lay a fresh MBR. The help reads some warnings as "dont try this command unless your drive is not accessible at all ," something like that.
I thought that laying a fresh MBR would also see that i would loose the data. [ I am not a tech guy and no knowledge of all these ]. Yet i decided to go ahead , as anyways i was going to loose the data . I typed the FIXMBR COMMAND. It gave a message of MBR successfully written something.

6] Then i rebooted the PC. My system used to show me 2 options while booting. Since my C: was a FAT32 partition and the Balance of the drives was a NTFS. It used to show me the two options
This time however it showed me 2 more options , one i think was a fresh setup made and the other was a unfinished setup. Going on my hunch, i choose the old one windows xp professional, the one above the e:/windows.

It booted into windows and CHKDSK run saying there is some inconsistency in one of your drives and need to be cheked.
It then rebooted.
This time it loaded properly and the desktop was seen. The loading was of the setup which was successful after the crash begun. Setup of XP WITH SP2. Before the crash i was on just XP without any SERVICE PACK.
I rebooted to rechek again and it was successful agian. Even booted using BART cd and it could also locate all my drives. Did all these R&D,

7]Without wasting any time i loaded the windows xp sp2 [slip streamed cd] and went for a setup. I got the E: where my windows was loaded CLEAN formatted and successfully installed windows.

8] Now the main Qs is 'WHO IS THE CULPRIT ".......Quite easily everbody pointed at the EXTERNAL DEFRAG PROGRAM. One however suggested that since the USB drive on which the modem is run freezes the system, it can also cause the harddisk to behave erroneously. Especially as mentioned above, even the day before the crash happened inserting a pendrive in one the usb ports also caused the system freeze.

POST SYSTEM CRASH

9] Also in XP SP2 , i loaded the HUAWEI CD and it shows me some RUNDLL Error and it cannot complete the setup. It however installs something it seems, because in the Device manage, a unidentified device error is seen. I then went to the DEVICE MANAGERand in that made the drivers uninstall and then SCAN FOR HARDWARE changes and in that if i choose the first option of automatic search, Windows just keeps on searching. I have to choose the second option and show the path and it completes the taks thus. Thereafter i am able to use the modem.

10] But a new problem i found is when i am on the net, suddenly the modem freezes and also the desktop. If i right clik nothing happens. As soon as i switch off the modem, the system becomes alive.

Of this i had read on the web on the MS site of the first driver causing some problems, and a hotfix for the same. But i did not find any link for the same.

One of my friend said that the USB should be detected in the middle of the system also , and on his place no such problems.

11. Yesterday i run the DRIVERSHQ website program and it suggested the USB driver is available new and i run the same also, yet the problem remains the same.

regards
tom

T

tom

hi,
finally i solved it on the same day i wrote this mail...after lots of searching on the microsoft site, finally a google did it.......i landed on this excellent site for USB problems.....[see mentioned below] .....The modem was not a problem i think so .

All i did was in the device manager, under the heading Universal serial bus controllers ---> USB Root hub.........Click properties .....under that select POWER MANAGEMENT........ Under that DESELECTED THE OPTION "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Thereafter i rebooted the PC , with the modem CD inserted.....I went to device manager, the network adapter was not shown....So just clicked scan for hidden devices, keeping the modem off.......there it showed me network adapter then.........Also i could see a driver HUAWEI MT841 NETWORK DEVICE - PACKET SCHEDULER MINI PORT.... But one driver was missing the one which makes the modem run "HUAWEI MT841 NETWORK DEVICE"..........i just uninstalled and rebooted............Again i kept the modem off and repeated the same steps, .......only when u clik scan for hidden devices does it showed the NETWORK ADAPTER, WHEN THE MODEM IS OFF........I also inserted the MODEM cd and run the setup.....
THIS TIME THE SETUP COMPLETED, WHICH HITHERTO DID NOT AS WRITTEN BELOW.......
THEREAFTER MY MODEM IS WORKING FINE.....NO MORE HANGING AND ALSO NO NEED TO START IT RIGHT IN THE BEGINNING.........I CAN START IT IN THE MIDDLE OF WINDOWS ALSO AND ANY NO OF TIMES..........

I think the power allocation option had something to do with it ?
Any experts pls clarify this..........
i got this article on this site.
http://www.usbman.com/index.htm

the heading of the article is on the main page itself USB Device Stops Working or Won't Resume

i also want to ask that is it possible to increase the power supply to the USB PORT.......right now it is shown as 500ma available..

pls let know

regards

tom

Hi tom,

Replace the Modem. Get a Modem that connects to your computer via an Ethernet Cable. And leave the Modem on all the time, except maybe during a Thunderstorm. This time, don't lose the CDs!

And use the Windows XP CD, to reformat and reinstall the operating system then install the new Cable Modem before you download and reapply all the Hotfixes again.

--
thecreator

hi

USB NOT DETECTED.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYSTEM CRASH

It then rebooted.

POST SYSTEM CRASH

regards
tom

Ask a Question