USB mouse stops working when unplugging USB printer

Lars-Erik Østerud

When I unplug my USB printer (to connect it to another PC)
my USB mouse stops working (until I reboot the PC that is).

Same happends the other way, if I reconnect my USB printer
the USB mouse also stops responding (until a reboot).

Why is this happening?

Any ideas on how to avoid this?

Does the connection port have any influence
(my system has 6 USB2 ports)?

R. McCarty

Possibly an overload of either the Bandwidth or a current spike
that overloads the Controller/Root Hub the two devices obviously
share.

Most times USB mice are USB1.1 and not USB2.0. I'd suggest
you re-arrange your connections to different sockets to distribute
the USB-1(.1) loads to different Root Hubs.

You can visually inspect the USB device tree with the following:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/stream/vidcap/UVCViewdwn.mspx?

Lars-Erik Østerud

Unknown said:
Is your mouse supposed to be plugged in a reserved USB port?
"Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message

No idea, is it? It's a standard Dell USB mouse.

Unknown

I am not familiar with your computer. I mention it because my computer has a
dedicated USB hub for the mouse and keyboard.

M.I.5¾

Lars-Erik Østerud said:
Nice, but it displays USB1 and 2 on different trees, so I still
can't tell if the mouse (USB1) shares with the printer (USB2)

I think that is a red herring as USB1 and USB2 are two entirely different
ports even though they use the same physical connector. They will never use
either the same controller or the same root hub.

Which is why they are displayed as two different trees.

bbunny

Lars-Erik Østerud said:
When I unplug my USB printer (to connect it to another PC)
my USB mouse stops working (until I reboot the PC that is).

Same happends the other way, if I reconnect my USB printer
the USB mouse also stops responding (until a reboot).

Why is this happening?

Any ideas on how to avoid this?

Does the connection port have any influence
(my system has 6 USB2 ports)?

This behavior _probably_ has to do with the printer drivers.
This may help. Place the keyboard and mouse in the top
pair of USB ports. Place the printer in the last/bottom pair
of USB ports. This may help.