Computer starts up when I plug in printer's USB cable.

Stan Hilliard

(Problem #1) I recently installed a new Brother MFC8860DN
multifunction printer and connected it to my PC by USB. The PC,
initially shut down, boots up when I plug the printer's USB cable into
the PC. (with the printer on.) Is this behavior normal, and can it be
stopped?

(Problem #2) I ask this because it is only half of the problem. (If it
is the problem.) The other half is that sometimes the PC gets into a
mode where the PC automatically restarts when I try to shut it down.
When this happens I have to turn off the PC by switch (as it starts to
reboot.)

Brother Support assures me that my drivers are up date.

When automatic restarting sets in I can't restore the normal shutdown
behavior by just unplugging the printer's USB. The PC remains in
automatic restart mode. To get the PC back to its normal shutdown
ability I then shut off the PC manually and then restart. Then, with
the USB still unplugged, the PC will start up and shutdown normally.

Apparently "restarting" doesn't clear whatever causes the automatic
restarts.

Advice will be appreciated,
Stan Hilliard
XP-Pro on homebuilt PC.